You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-7-2016 20:35:22  #1

Remington Monarch

Got this today and like it a lot. It's in good shape and seems to have been serviced by a local shop at some point. I love the typeface, and it seems to have original spools. The only flaw I've found so far is that sometimes I need to hit the space bar harder than usual. Or maybe I'm not hitting it smartly enough.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

13-7-2016 16:03:30  #2

Re: Remington Monarch

Sounds like to me it's out of adjustment.  You shouldn't have to hit it with too much force.  Does it bottom fully before it spaces and you have to put forth an extra effort afterwards?  If so, then you're space bar needs to be pulled in a little as far as the linkage goes.  I'll have to study one of my machines that's similar and get back with you on how to adjust this.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

13-7-2016 16:06:04  #3

TypewriterKing, I solved the problem by oiling the part where the spacebar joins the casing. Works fine now.

14-7-2016 17:21:54  #4

Good.  It's usually the simplest (and the cheapest) things that will almost always be needed first.  I usually like to clean a machine and very sparingly and judiciously oil and see what a certain mechanism will do before I get into loosening nuts and bolts and changing up whatever would have been more easily fixed with just a little love and attention with a bit of cleaning and oiling.  You do have a unique typewriter though.  I once had an older one that succumbed to the tinworm (It was a 1933 model.  I wish I still had that one).

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-7-2016 20:13:00  #5

TypewriterKing, check your messages.

28-7-2016 16:24:48  #6

Wow, this is a beautiful machine! It looks *just* like my Remington Quiet-Riter from 1953 or so. I wonder what the difference is

Using vintage recipes, patterns, lifestyle tips, etc. sourced from my own personal collection
http://vintagebythebook.blogspot.com/

28-7-2016 16:53:01  #7

VintageByTheBook wrote:

Wow, this is a beautiful machine! It looks *just* like my Remington Quiet-Riter from 1953 or so. I wonder what the difference is

To be honest I've never seen a Monarch badged Remington from the '50s. There were plenty of Monarch models before the '50s, and even a few after, but I'm not familiar with this one. It seems odd - to me - that the Monarch name isn't centered under the Remington name as you would find with all the other models such as the Quiet- and Letter-Riter. Unfortunately the paper table is covered by a sheet of paper in the photo because I'd like to know if there are any decals on it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-7-2016 17:07:01  #8

Uwe wrote:

It seems odd - to me - that the Monarch name isn't centered under the Remington name as you would find with all the other models such as the Quiet- and Letter-Riter.

I found this very odd too, and if you google "Remington Monarch" you'll find a vastly different looking machine. Hmmmm....

Using vintage recipes, patterns, lifestyle tips, etc. sourced from my own personal collection

28-7-2016 17:13:15  #9

It looks like it could be a later model Quiet-Riter... the earlier models didn't have a dedicated number 1/exclamation key (you had to use a lowercase L for the 1 and build an exclamation point by striking "shift 8, backspace, period"). That is really odd.

28-7-2016 17:34:01  #10

This is getting interesting. Uwe, behind the paper it say "Tabulator."

Board footera