You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-7-2016 18:33:42  #11

Re: Remington Monarch

VintageByTheBook wrote:

It looks like it could be a later model Quiet-Riter... the earlier models didn't have a dedicated number 1/exclamation key...

A lack of a 1 key doesn't - in this case - have anything to do with the model, and it's not a late model Quiet-Riter: some earlier models were fitted with a 1 key, as my '53 Quiet-Riter proves.

@typeset: Posting your Monarch's serial number would be big help (it should be stamped on the frame, under and to the right of the right ribbon spool). And it says "Tabulator" on the paper table, not "Miracle Tab"?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-7-2016 10:59:00  #12

Uwe, yes, it says Tabulator. I'll post the serial number later. I'd really like to know what I have.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

29-7-2016 14:26:51  #13

My guess is that it's a Quiet-Riter.

29-7-2016 14:42:29  #14

It's not a Quiet-Riter if it doesn't say Quiet-Riter on the ribbon cover. There were other Riter models, such as the Letter-Riter, Travel-Riter, and Office-Riter. The Quiet-Riter was the top model, the others fell in behind it with different feature sets. The question of how and where a Monarch would fall into this model line remains to be seen and can only be established by examining its specifications and serial number.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-7-2016 16:19:36  #15

Not to be stupid, or anything, but from my own somewhat educated guess, wouldn't a Monarch be a Remington made under license in another country, say, England?  I have an English Remington (not sure what sub-series it is, I'll have to look), but it was made in England.  I had a '33 Monarch that was made under license in England (wish I still had that one too).

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

29-7-2016 17:17:26  #16

TypewriterKing wrote:

...from my own somewhat educated guess, wouldn't a Monarch be a Remington made under license in another country, say, England?

Remington had manufacturing facilities in many countries, including England, but that has nothing to do with the Monarch name that originates from when Remington was a part of the Union Typewriter Company merger, and Monarch became a brand name produced from that merger. The Monarch Typewriter Company was American, and Remington produced Monarch-branded standards, which was the first use of the Monarch name. Over the years there were a number of different Monarch models, even in the '60s there was still a Monarch model, now a portable, being sold. 

I'm familiar with a number of different Monarch models, but I've never come across a '50s Remington that used the name. I suspect that it fits in at the bottom of the Riter model lineup, given where the Monarch was positioned during the '60s, but it would require more investigation to answer that question. Again, I'm waiting for a serial number to give me some idea of when and where it was manufactured before speculating on the history of this model.

30-7-2016 14:33:18  #17

Uwe, serial number is ERM461962.

30-7-2016 21:46:02  #18

Okay, it looks to follow the numbers used for the -Riter models that were made in England, no surprise there given it has the same case design. And that means it should be a 1960 model, which is relevant because the Monarch that I'm familiar with was introduced in '62. I'm going to sift through my Remington stuff and see what I can dig up, but in the meantime detailed photos would be a big help (keyboard, carriage ends, under the ribbon cover, the back of the typewriter).

04-8-2016 17:32:55  #19

Uwe, more pictures. The last two are of the back.

11-9-2016 14:18:11  #20

The machine you have is a version of the Quiet-Riter, perhaps the Office-Riter.  Seeing the MONARCH name on a Remington machine is not too big a surprise, as this name was used on various Remington portables from the 1930's all the way through the 1970's --- well into the "plastic era."  

Board footera