You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-8-2016 14:24:12  #1

Gossen Tippa-B Stiff Keys and Wonky Hammers

Hi there! Newbie, here. Just picked up this old Gossen Tippa-B portable and it's got a couple 'issues' that need to be addressed. And since I know virtually nothing about typewriters, I figured I better seek out the experts. So I ended up, here. 

I don't know if you can see the pictures I tried to attach. But here's what's going on. ALL of the alpha-numeric keys are very, very stiff. You have to pull them back up by hand, after pushing them down (hard). Also, most of the hammers refuse to lie down. They're all sitting up at odd heights and when you try to push them down with a finger, they just spring right back to where they were. I'm guessing both of these issues may be related (maybe not). But I'm unsure how to tackle them. Thought about just dousing everything in WD-40. But then I thought better of that. I'm hoping somebody can offer suggestions as to what the problem(s) might be and how to fix it. 

Also, there's a little knob on the left-hand side of the keyboard. It's marked with the letters "S" and "I" (or lower case "L") with arrows pointing to each letter. I presume this knob should turn to each letter when you twist it, but it doesn't. It seems locked in place. Could this have anything to do with the above 2 problems? Or is it a separate 'issue'?

Any help great appreciated! Thanks. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/b7c4giyccw8qhyu/AABEVTEeGpIVJ_TR7KWGo0oBa

04-8-2016 17:44:36  #2

Re: Gossen Tippa-B Stiff Keys and Wonky Hammers

I guess I stumped everybody... 

04-8-2016 19:57:46  #3

As a Central Texan, I don't come across a typewriter like this one everyday.  In fact, this is the first I had ever heard of a Gossen-Tippa-B typewriter.  I looked it up, and I think Adler had something to do with them sometime later.  And as for that knob, I am completely unsure of just what it does.  About the only thing I can recommend is to first, warm up some automatic transmission fluid (not to boiling--just warm), set the typewriter in a pan or something that will contain oil, and brush plenty of the fluid in, and let it soak overnight.  The next day, exercise the keys until they are loose, and everything else is loose.  Keep exercising all the joints, but don't use too much force--don't want to break something.  Eventually, one at a time, the keys will come unstuck, and maybe that knob.  When that happens, follow the linkages that come from the knob to see where they end up and what they make the typewriter do (or not do).  Let me know, and let me know how you come out in this deal.  Oh, and by the way, when everything is unstuck, wipe out all the excess fluid.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

04-8-2016 20:14:08  #4

Thank you SO much for responding, TypewriterKing! I can see how that tranny fluid method could loosen up the keys. But what do you think about the hammers? The fact that they're sitting up in the air and spring right back up when you try to push them down? Does that seem connected to the key stiffness or is something else going on there? The hammers don't seem stiff at all. They just refuse to lie down. 

04-8-2016 22:04:00  #5

Sometimes the typebars will be fine, but all those typebars are directly connected to the linkages below, which may be the ones sticking.  Let's say that for every type bar, there are three or four links, counting the connecting rods.  If just one link is stuck from the key to the typebar, the whole works will be stiff.  The link may be stuck in the position that it has the type bar slightly pulled up, but won't come down.  I have come across HUNDREDS of typewriters in this condition.  Not to worry!!  That good ol' tranny fluid should loosen up the works and everything will lie down nice and flat for you, even after you've used the typewriter.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

05-8-2016 07:27:43  #6

OK. I'll give it a try and report back... eventually. Thanks! 

05-8-2016 17:00:00  #7

xntryk1 wrote:

I guess I stumped everybody...  

Patience...

The forum isn't a 24/7 tech support hotline and sometimes it can take a few days before someone will respond to a repair question such as yours.

xntryk1 wrote:

...after pushing them down (hard). Also, most of the hammers refuse to lie down.

It's very possible that the linkages between the type and keybars have been bent from being forced. Typewriters are precision instruments and as such you shouldn't really force anything, or use most effort than you would to normally type with it. I'd suggest cleaning everything thoroughly so that all the parts are moving freely before addressing the repose of the typebars.

xntryk1 wrote:

Thought about just dousing everything in WD-40. 

Never use WD-40 in a typewriter. Ever. There are exceptions to this rule, but that's not what you're dealing with right now. And forget the transmission fluid too. All you need is a bottle of mineral spirits and a box of cotton swabs (Q-Tips) to clean the pivot points for the typebars and keybars.

xntryk1 wrote:

Also, there's a little knob on the left-hand side of the keyboard. It's marked with the letters "S" and "I" (or lower case "L") with arrows pointing to each letter. I presume this knob should turn to each letter when you twist it, but it doesn't. It seems locked in place.

The knob is a touch control adjustment. You turn it clockwise (s = schwer or heavy) to make the type feel heavier and counterclockwise (l = leicht or light) to make it feel lighter. I wouldn't worry about its operation until you have cleaned the machine and it's typing normally.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-8-2016 17:18:33  #8

Thank you for responding, Uwe! I was trying to be patient. But then it seemed like other questions were getting answers faster than mine and I was starting to lose hope. 

And no worries on the "forcing" thing. That was somewhat of an overstatement. I at least know enough not to force things to the point of getting bent. I just slowly moved them up and down to see if that might help loosen things. It didn't.

But like I say, I am totally new to this typewriter hobby. So I have NO idea where "the pivot points for the typebars and keybars" might be located. Looking at the picture of the bottom of the typewriter, would that be somewhere behind the bottom plate? Or is it more easily accessible than that? I'm trying to avoid disassembling this thing as much as possible (so that I don't run into problems putting it back together). 

Finally, interesting about that knob. I would never have guessed. Thanks, again. 

06-8-2016 18:02:20  #9

xntryk1 wrote:

I have NO idea where "the pivot points for the typebars and keybars" might be located. Looking at the picture of the bottom of the typewriter, would that be somewhere behind the bottom plate?

A good place to start is at the segment (see photo below), the large metal plate beneath the ribbon where the typebars pivot on their way to the type guide. Soak a cotton swab in mineral spirits and work it into those slots and clean the section of each typebar that disappears into those slots. Be liberal with the spirits, and repeat as often as is required. Slowly lift and lower the typebar by hand to check its movement and verify that it's moving freely. Doing this should have a profound effect on your machine's operation if the root of the problem is dirt, which is very often is.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-8-2016 19:19:39  #10

Aside from sitting up at odd heights (versus lying down, like they're supposed to), the typebars already seem relatively loose. It's the keys that are REALLY stiff. Will doing the above cleaning also help them, or is there someplace else that might get to the root of their problem?

Also, I should mention, everything already SEEMS fairly clean (with no noticeable dirt, dust, rust or anything). Thank you. 

Board footera