You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-8-2016 16:19:44  #1

Carriage Not Advancing and Drawband Loose (Pink Royal Quiet Deluxe)

Hi all. I am experiencing issues with a pink Royal Quiet Deluxe that I was cleaning for my wife. Before I cleaned it, the carriage advanced when I used the space bar or typed on the keys. After the cleaning, it now moves erratically. I am planning on uploading a video if possible to show what it is doing. When the carriage is to the far left, neither the keys nor the space bar will work. When I move it over a little, the space works for a bit, stops, and then starts working again. If the carriage is almost in the center, two or three keys will work. I am wondering if something has gone wrong with the rotor that moves the carriage along (escarpment?). I traced the linkage from the space bar all the way to that point. The rotor moves periodically when I press the space bar but doesn’t always do so. Is there a way to fix this? Are there normal “causes” for something like this? 

I also wondered if it had anything to do with the drawband tension, but when I pressed the tab key, the carriage moved freely. That sentence is in the past tense because I accidentally released the tension by moving a lever on the drumspring (or whatever it is called). How do I restore tension to the drawband? And which direction should the lever be in to lock the "tightening rotor"? Anyone know of a step-by-step guide for restoring the tension to a Quiet Deluxe?

I would greatly appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

03-8-2016 16:19:16  #2

Re: Carriage Not Advancing and Drawband Loose (Pink Royal Quiet Deluxe)

The way I used to tighten the spring drum was to: 1.  See that the spring cord wasn't wrapped up in the escapement or some other mechanism down below; 2.  with a small screwdriver, push on the little sawtooth wheel just a little so you could get a little bit of tension to take up enough slack so the cord wouldn't impinge on any other mechanism; 3.  adjust some more, try the carriage, and see if it spaces well enough toward the end--you don't want to get it too tight--otherwise you may not be able to return the carriage all the way, and you might chance breaking the spring on the inside of the drum.  Good luck.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

08-8-2016 22:53:41  #3

Thanks a ton for that advice! I've asked in a number of other locations but haven't gotten a response. That's really helpful.

Should the drawband be fully extended or fully wrapped around the drum when I go to tighten it, and does it matter which direction the drawband is wrapped around the drum? Also, how can you tell if you're at risk of tightening too much? Lastly, do you happen to know what position the "lock mechanism" on the drum should be in to ensure that the tension doesn't release?

Thank you, thank you, thank you again for your response!

09-8-2016 20:10:20  #4

First, you'll want both--make sure the drawband isn't in the pathway of some other parts of the machinery.  Tighten just a little and let the spring drum take up the slack gently.  After the slack is taken up, continue pushing the sawtooth gear with the screwdriver to let it continue tightening.  Naturally, you'll have the carriage all the way to the right hand side of the typewriter to expose the spring drum on the left.  The drawband on this particular typewriter goes from the top and winds around down on the left hand side.  This is the only direction where you push the spring drum where it will take up the slack.  You'll have to try different intervals to see if the carriage spaces correctly and at the same time not be too hard to return.  You know you've tightened it wayyy too much if you tighten it to where you can't move the sawtooth wheel any further.  You do not want to get to that point.  If you find you have gotten to that point, all you have to do is to work the lock lever up and down to slowly release the tension.  This is a sort of primitive escapement mechanism, which brings me to the topic of its position--either way is ok.  Just make sure that the tooth holding one of the sawteeth is all the way in.  Let me know how you come out.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

10-8-2016 18:05:36  #5

I look forward to trying this out over the weekend. I will definitely let you know how things turn out.

28-8-2016 16:45:13  #6

Hey TypewriterKing. Just wanted to say I was able to restore tension to the machine, and it works swimmingly! Many thanks for all of your assistance!

Board footera