You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-8-2016 17:48:56  #1

Newbie, Princess 300, Detail question

I've been fixing a couple of minor flaws. One issue was that the shift action was tight towards the end.
The reason was that the shift mechanism interfered with the Tab set/remove mechanism.
I remedied that, but, I'm not sure if this was a clean fix or a hack. I need to compare with a working Princess 300... that's where you come into the picture, hopefully ;)

(Please excuse my clumsy description; not a native speaker and unfamiliar with mechanical terms).

At the back of the Princess, there are two fingers that shift the Tab setting pin left/right.
The fingers are attached to a plate/strip that goes along the back of the machine.
When I press Shift, the carriage moves up+back and pushes into the plate. After my fix, the Tab pin lifts the fingers,
and the left end of the plate jumps up on a two-stage pin/screw. Like this...

THE QUESTION is:
a) is the tab plate supposed to jump up and down when you press shift? (it makes a small pleasant mech sound)
b) if yes: is the PIN supposed to be so tight that it lifts and drops the plate?

I half suspect that the fingers around the pin should be friction-free, and instead the round piece behind the fingers should move the plate.

If you have a Princess 300, I would be grateful if you could tell me how the Shift action works for you;
especially, if the fingers around the pin are tight or not.

May your typing always be smooth and your levers untangled
(and your fonts not as awfully smeared by a ridiculously wet new Pelikan silk ribbon as are mine)
Jörn

Board footera