You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-8-2016 16:25:09  #1

Unusual Underwood 150? Looking for input...

I recently inherited my great uncle's manual Underwood typewriter; it seems to be in fantastic shape, and aside from a sticky "G" key, seems to be in fine working condition. There was even a second ribbon with it, still in its original box, though I have no idea if any of the ink is still viable.

I think it is an Underwood 150, and the serial number suggests it was manufactured in 1955, but the vertically-oriented controls on the front seem different from the one-vertical, one-horizontal style that I've seen quite a few of. More importantly, the Underwood badge is a sort of scripty '50s typeface that doesn't look like anything else that I've seen.

I do have more photos of it, but since I'm a new user the forum won't let me post a link yet; I'm happy to share a Dropbox link with anyone who would like it.

Does anyone have any insights into this model and its quirks? Do I have something rare on my hands? Or have I just misidentified the thing? Any opinions are helpful!

10-8-2016 18:23:55  #2

Re: Unusual Underwood 150? Looking for input...

My good fellow, what you have is INDEED an Underwood 150.  But I am not sure it is a '55 model.  I have an identical machine that was made in 1956.  It's pica type.  What is the serial number on your machine?  I can probably tell without looking it up.  If it begins with 78 or 79, it's more than likely a '56 model.  That brass script on the front (which is notorious for tarnishing), was used into 1957 before Underwood went to "Golden Touch," machines--shaped pretty much the same way as the 150, only with a few minor internal mechanical differences.  What you'll want to pay the most attention to is the underside of the noise deadening felt on the insides of the panels--particularly on the front panel.  Remove them and get off the rust that seems to be attracted to whatever paste they used to glue them in with.  Outside of that, you have one of Underwood's finest typewriters--a very fine, smoothly operating typewriter with an even smoother carriage.  This machine, once in tune, will outlast you and your grandkids.  Again, tell me what the serial number it is, but it looks all in the world like a '56.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

10-8-2016 18:27:12  #3

Oh, I almost forgot--any typewriter now is becoming rarer and rarer.  But there was a time when these machines were everywhere.  I don't know how many of these fine machines I've had the good fortune to be able to tune up and bring back to life.  The good part about that bit of news is that you will still be able to find plenty of other machines you can use as spares for this one.  Again, you have one fine specimen of a very fine machine.  Good luck!

10-8-2016 18:34:56  #4

Forgot again--as for that sticky G, just a drop of tranny fluid in that particular slot should free it, and if that doesn't do it, try pulling up the type bar to see what side of the type bar guide it tends to go to.  Ever so gently, push it a little toward the other way and try each time to see if it still sticks.  You don't want to bend it too far because if you do, it will still stick, only on the other side of the type bar guide.  Just little nudges.  Oh, and by the way, I saw the picture and it looks like you have a pica type machine too.  I saw the scale centered on 50.  If it were elite type, the center would read 60.  Does it have a special typeface?  Or does it have the usual with the DP on each type bar (for Distinct Pica)?  Let me know.

10-8-2016 19:49:22  #5

Thanks so much for the helpful information! The serial number looks like it's 7788710:

I do have a type sample from it as well:

And it looks like the underside doesn't have any felt; in fact, the underside seems pretty clean. I suppose that's the good thing about it having lived in my aunt's dry inland basement for the past several decades!

10-8-2016 20:23:06  #6

Well bless my soul.  It must be a late 1955 model.  I thought they only came in taupe with grey keys with navy blue surround keys (shift, backspace, margin release, tab clear, tab set, shift locks).  They also had an aluminum badge that read: "Speeds the World's Business."  I have a '55 model 150 elite type that fits this description.  When I get set up, I'll post some pictures.  Right now, one of those digital type cameras is a bit too rich for my blood.

10-8-2016 20:44:33  #7

Me again.  The added photos of your machine look great, as does the print sample.  What you have there is a KEEPER.  My '56 has a bit of rust in it from poor storage, but I got most of it out when I gave it a massive overhaul in '03.  I'll also post pictures when I can.  I may experiment with my cell phone to see if I can get a halfway decent picture.  Notice to all forum members:  When I start posting, LOOK OUT!!  You'll get a whole flood of pictures of my babies.

11-8-2016 21:50:26  #8

Very nice machine!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera