You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-8-2016 15:59:10  #1

Writers: What typewriter do you prefer for your writing?

My favorite standard is a Royal KMM which I bought not long ago. I was leery of the pica type at first but have grown fond of it, so much so that elite now often seems to "yell" too much. Today, in fact, I'm getting another one, this one in gray. At $10, I couldn't resist. Something about this typewriter gets the juices going when I write: I've noticed I tend to write more when I use it. Typing seems easier.

I'd like to hear what other writers use.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

12-8-2016 19:13:28  #2

Re: Writers: What typewriter do you prefer for your writing?

There's no competition, the Olympia SG1 is my go to machine when it comes to rolling up the sleeves and getting to work. Its performance and type feel are above average, and its features unrivaled. I've used dozens of different standards and if I could only keep one it would be the SG1.

With respect to your other comments, are you sure you didn't get a KMG? And I'm confused why elite type would seem like "yelling" to you. I could maybe understand the description if you were talking about pica because it's larger.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-8-2016 19:25:22  #3

I'm kinda thinking he meant that elite type is harder on the eyes to read.  Some KMMs were painted a grayish-taupe color--I have a '48 model KMM that was so painted.  A KMG has a more gunmetal gray finish with tombstone-shaped keys on it.  My '48 Royal has round keys and rectangular shift, backspace and tab keys.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

12-8-2016 20:00:03  #4

I'm an idiot: I meant elite. Sorry. Pica seems too big at times.

12-8-2016 21:30:41  #5

There is a size that's in between.  It is 11-pitch (I've got a '56 IBM fitted with it).  I'm not sure of the name of that size, but I know it's an international size.  I also have an Olympia fitted with it too.

12-8-2016 21:36:03  #6

But for my writing--hands down, my good ol' '52 Royal HHP from Sul Ross Sixth Grade Center.  I absolutely don't know why all my teachers complained about that one!  I fixed it up, unstuck the letter C, gave it a new ribbon, lubed it up with good ol' tranny fluid, and I've got one smooth typer.  In fact, I've typed so fast sometimes I had to read what I had just typed on it--it's like it pulls me in and off I go.  The small letter h is a bit dodgy on it, so I won't use it in the commission of any crimes (what a motive for remaining honest, but hey, whatever it takes to keep me out of trouble, eh?).  The h adds character to the typewriter.  Anyway, that's my weapon of choice when I'm tackling a writing project.

12-8-2016 21:43:40  #7

John, I just got my first HHE. I put on a new ribbon but the carriage is locked. I have tried every lever and pushed the button on the carriage, but it still won't type. Can you help?

13-8-2016 05:29:43  #8

Typewriterking wrote:

There is a size that's in between.  It is 11-pitch (I've got a '56 IBM fitted with it).  I'm not sure of the name of that size, but I know it's an international size.  I also have an Olympia fitted with it too.

The 11-pitch size is called 'Continental Elite' - at least it is here in England.  Most interesting that IBM produced machines with this pitch.  Normally you only find it on portables, usually German but sometimes Japanese too.

13-8-2016 16:16:26  #9

typeset wrote:

John, I just got my first HHE. I put on a new ribbon but the carriage is locked. I have tried every lever and pushed the button on the carriage, but it still won't type. Can you help?

The first thing you'll want to try is the margin settings--the two black tabs on top of the carriage in the back on the left and right hand sides.  To get the carriage to go to the left, pull the right tab and slide the carriage all the way far as it will go.  Do the same to get the carriage to go to the right, only pull the left hand tab.  Now, remember, the HH has one Achilles heel:  Those margins are NOTORIOUS for sticking.  Get you some tranny fluid, or machine oil (I like tranny fluid better.  For some reason it's slicker.  I suspect it has certain detergents in it.  I could be wrong, but for some reason, I have found in my 35 years that this stuff works the best, and I don't care what anyone says).  Get you a small (really small) paint brush to dab it onto the margin stop rack, spring pulleys, and the little wheels above the margin stops.  You'll have to lightly pry on the bars on the top that depress those little wheels to get to them, but take care not to bend these bars.  Make sure the little wheels go around.  Very carefully, take a pair of needlenose pliers with the ends wrapped with paper towels or cloth and turn the wheels every so gently.  Get both of them--one on each stop.    I'm hoping this solves the problem.  Let me know how you come out.

13-8-2016 16:18:09  #10

thetypewriterman wrote:

"There is a size that's in between.  It is 11-pitch (I've got a '56 IBM fitted with it).  I'm not sure of the name of that size, but I know it's an international size.  I also have an Olympia fitted with it too."

The 11-pitch size is called 'Continental Elite' - at least it is here in England.  Most interesting that IBM produced machines with this pitch.  Normally you only find it on portables, usually German but sometimes Japanese too.

Now I remember!  That's what it's called.  But I figured it was elite type installed on a machine geared for pica type.  I've made at least two or three such machines.  I know that pica type in an elite type geared machine doesn't work, since it would crowd the heck out of the letters.  But yes, I remember now.  Continental Elite. 

Board footera