You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-8-2016 10:13:26  #1

Help unlocking a Royal HHE

I've bought two of these this week and both have the same problem: the keyboard is locked, i.e., when I try to type, the keys only travel half way. How do I unlock them?

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

16-8-2016 12:27:52  #2

Re: Help unlocking a Royal HHE

Have you moved the margins (Magic Margins) to their extreme left and right positions? Does the space bar move the carriage forward? Did you try using the margin release key? Based on your description it sounds like your margins have been set next to each other effectively locking the carriage and the typebars in one position.

As for the model name, it's just HH. The E in the serial number only designates that it has been fitted with an elite typeface.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-8-2016 21:57:03  #3

Yes, I have exactly the same machine; I too think it's the margins: hold down the right margin button (green marked button at rear right of carriage) and move carriage to the left to where you want the margin and release.  Then hold down left margin button and move carriage to right.  Touching these buttons automatically resets the margin that side to the current carriage position if it is nearer the centre than the current setting.  To move the margin further from the centre, you have to move the carriage while holding the margin button down, as described above.  You could find a manual for this machine on line, I should think.  Good luck.

Sincerely,
beak.

17-8-2016 18:09:03  #4

Looks like you have a 1952 model (judging by the "Royal" insignia being cast in the entire front plate rather than as an inlay into the front plate. The ribbon color selector is also straight across, versus the zigzag pattern you'll find on later Royal HH machines dating to 1956.  Look underneath the keyboard and you'll find a long plate right next to the comblike key guide.  This thing pivots backward to the key guide to prevent the keys from being pressed when the right margin is reached.  Sometimes when the carriage is returned to the left margin, this plate doesn't go back like it should--it sticks there either because it needs to be cleaned and lubed in its pivot or the whole mechanism is needing cleaning and lubrication.  Also, exercise the mechanism once cleaned and oiled, and it should do okay after that.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

17-8-2016 21:59:20  #5

TypewriterKing wrote:

Looks like you have a 1952 model (judging by the "Royal" insignia being cast in the entire front plate rather than as an inlay into the front plate. The ribbon color selector is also straight across, versus the zigzag pattern

The '53 model also had the solid ROYAL badge and straight colour selector gate...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-8-2016 23:55:42  #6

I didn't say these sere exclusive to the '52 models.  I have seen many times something occurring in more than one year, with changes occurring in the middle.  But, while I have you, can you tell me if they made any HH machines in 1957 before they started with the FP?  Or did the FP start in mid-'56?

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera