You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-8-2016 20:23:19  #1

Second Royal KMM

I got this one for $10, which is the lowest I've paid for a machine. It was in OK shape, but needed a dire cleaning. Not willing to pay the shop $80 for a cleaning, I undertook one of my first repair jobs, brushing the basket with denatured alcohol and repeatedly typing each key. Finally, the gunk cleared out and now it's in working condition. Unlike my black KMM, this one has pica typeface and was serviced by a shop in Hollywood representing Royal. I imagine it's a '50s machine.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

17-8-2016 09:37:50  #2

Re: Second Royal KMM

That's actually a KMG, which except for the color (the "G" stands for gray, I think) and the tombstone shaped keys, it's the same machine as the KMM I think. I want one of these myself. Yours looks nice!

17-8-2016 09:42:38  #3

Thanks, Fleetwing! It was so satisfying to clean it myself instead of sinking $80 at the shop. It's working great now. Those glass-topped keys have a great feel.

17-8-2016 18:11:27  #4

Ah yes, it does feel good when you can do something for yourself, and chances are, you probably did a better job than they would have done since this was a labor of love.  And, also about the KMG--on  the right side of the carriage platen, there is a knob on the grey older.  You can flip this up and you can easily remove the platen to be able to clean it and the parts down below.  These were the first Royals to have that feature.  Those are great machines too.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

18-8-2016 17:32:26  #5

TypewriterKing, cleaning these few machines has brought me great joy. I'm not mechanically inclined, so this feels like a breakthrough of sorts. Here's a picture of the typeface: it's uneven and gritty and I love it.

18-8-2016 18:13:03  #6

It has character--something mighty important in a typewriter.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera