You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-8-2016 13:56:30  #1

On an Adler binge

I like my Adler Special so much I ordered a Tippa S and a J5. I could have done without the Tippa S, but sure do look forward to the J5. Any other Adler fans? I would also appreciate more information on Adlers.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

31-8-2016 05:29:24  #2

Re: On an Adler binge

Adlers are a nice machine, all right. I have a 1972 Tippa that's a very sweet little thing, and just sold a Scheidegger Gabrielle model that was built like a tank, and a total dream to type on, but just too huge and stolid for my flat. They're great machines. I also used to have a 1962 Special, with the rounded two-tone styling. I loved it but you could hear it from the end of the road. Aesthetically, I really like those deep column-like keys some of them have, and the plain, no-nonsense sixties look of the Gabrielles. But it's also a pretty businesslike, dour look. I prefer my Olympias! (But not by much, and I'd definitely recommend an Adler to anyone who wanted just one machine, or one for a child... I sold my Scheidegger to a school.)

31-8-2016 07:31:30  #3

Yes I'm a fan - but have never owned or even typed on one!  I think you can tell a good deal by the reputation and the looks.  Though I'm swearing to myself daily that I require fewer rather than more machines, the thing that will make me break my oath will be one of those Adler standards - can feel it happening.

Sincerely,
beak.

31-8-2016 08:07:46  #4

I have an Adler Primus that is one of my favorite machines to use.

01-9-2016 01:12:00  #5

I once owned two Adler manual typewriters and an Adler electric typewriter.  All were good machines and I regret selling them, but I needed money at the time.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

01-9-2016 06:20:07  #6

Beak, the feel of an Adler is very similar to an Olympia I think, the mid-sized 60s ones anyway. The Tippa feels nothing like a Splendid, though.

07-9-2016 16:00:46  #7

I have an Adler 7 (1917), a Klein Adler 2 (1927) and a Favorit (1937), so my experience with Adler ends pretty early. In addition I have a Triumph Tippa, and if it qualifies as an Adler it´s nowhere near the Olympia Splendid 33.

As for the older ones, all of them are thrust action typewriters, and that set them apart from the rest. The 7 is damn hard to use properly (but blissfully pleasant!), the Klein Adler is currently out of order and the Favorit is just great. IMO Adler produced a bunch of great and indestructible typewriters, and by sticking to the thrust action mechanism they made a name for themselves. If I had to recommend a model it´d be the Favorit. A great all-rounder, better suited to regular typing than the 7.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

Board footera