You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-8-2016 14:17:21  #1

c.1930s Underwood Portable - German Keyboard Layout

Hi - first time poster

I've been researching a typewriter my girlfriend and I recently bought at a yard sale and I've been having a hard time trying to figure out a possible value for it. From what I can tell, I think it was probably made between 1930 and 1933. It's a 4 bank Underwood (Universal?) Portable typewriter with a German keyboard. Y and Z are switched, backspace, shift, and shift lock keys have german labels, glass keys. I *think* the serial number is F706053 which is printed inside the typewriter just to the left of the typebars. But on the underside, 706949 is printed onto the metal. Unsure of which one is the serial number. 

What I'm trying to figure out is when this typewriter was made, and how many German typewriters Underwood produced of this model. In my research I found that Underwood acquired Mercedes in 1930 and began producing portable typewriters under the Mercedes brand in Europe, so I am also trying to figure out how that may factor into its worth. 

I'm posting here in case anyone might be able to help me in my research - any insight at all is much appreciated! 

21-8-2016 14:26:54  #2

Re: c.1930s Underwood Portable - German Keyboard Layout

Pictures below:

21-8-2016 15:29:46  #3

The F (four bank) number is the serial number and indicates it was manufactured in 1933. It's not a Mercedes model. There are so many factors that play into evaluating worth, but given it's a regular 4-bank with an export keyboard, I'd see it selling in the $50 - $150 range in my area.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-8-2016 16:08:59  #4

I would love that machine -- been looking for a German keyboard typewriter locally for some time.

Funny how I don't even think about "value" when it comes to typewriters -- mainly because what I have are machines that are not rare by any definition. But I also don't think of typewriters as having a market value the way things like cameras or coins do. I am sure I am mistaken! 

22-8-2016 21:12:06  #5

Fleetwing wrote:

I would love that machine -- been looking for a German keyboard typewriter locally for some time.

Funny how I don't even think about "value" when it comes to typewriters -- mainly because what I have are machines that are not rare by any definition. But I also don't think of typewriters as having a market value the way things like cameras or coins do. I am sure I am mistaken! 

Good news - this machine will be for sale on my girlfriend's Etsy shop in the near future. Here's a link - lots of other good gems listed as well :D ​https://www.etsy.com/shop/gardenprose

31-8-2016 05:24:24  #6

With non-rare antiques or collectibles, there is almost no such thing as 'value' or 'worth'; there's only 'what you can get for it'. This is 99.9% based on what condition it's in. A refurbished, repaired, reconditioned, well cleaned and perfectly working machine (whatever kind of machine) in perfect cosmetic condition is going to be 'worth' more than a clapped-out banger, even if the clapped-out banger still works perfectly. In that case, the 'worth' is in all the work you did to the machine (or in your luck in finding it) that ensures its near-new condition. Lots of people on eBay selling a typer they found in the attic seem not to understand this. Others just want to avoid landfill and sell it cheaper than they might have.

But if I've decided that a certain typewriter is 'worth'  a certain amount - that is, I think I can get that amount for it - and it doesn't sell, then what? It becomes more a question of 'what's it worth to me to get it out of the house'. And of course, some of the best and most worthwhile (a different thing) things are ;worth' very little, because they're still common.

ALSO, as has been pointed out again and again on this board, there are massive regional variations, as different typewriters just seem to be a lot more common in different places. Yet another thing that messes eBay up, as (for example) a Hermes 3000 owner might search on sale prices and factor the USA ones into a UK (eg) listing, even though they're more common over here.

Board footera