You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-8-2016 14:42:15  #1

Studio 44: carriage return lever won't advance line

I have a Studio 44 with a carriage return lever that won't advance the line no matter what the selector lever is set to. It appears that the linkage between the return lever's post and the line advance pawl is missing. It might be a simple fix, but I am unable to remove the left platen knob to access the area. Can anyone tell me how to get in there and fix/replace the linkage?

Thanks!

21-8-2016 17:33:31  #2

Re: Studio 44: carriage return lever won't advance line

Sounds like offhand, that something is sticking down there, not letting the pawl engage the teeth on the platen.  It may need a good clean.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

21-8-2016 19:39:07  #3

I can see that there is nothing connected to the return lever post. It turns freely, but there's nothing connecting it to anything else.

23-8-2016 08:35:06  #4

I managed to get the left platen knob off, and confirmed that there's nothing between the carriage return post and the pawl. I fashioned a crude linkage and managed to make it work, but the wire was too rigid to bend around the eyelets, and so it popped out after advancing the platen. I'll try again with another wire. Hopefully we'll be back in business by the weekend!

http://i.imgur.com/ZIDEfOO.jpg

23-8-2016 13:52:29  #5

If you are using hardened steel wire - and it sounds as if you are when you said it was too rigid to bend properly - you may need to heat it up to red heat and quickly bend it round a pair of round-section pliers (as used for jewellery making)  Obviously, you'll need a second pair of pliers to hold the wire over the flame etc.  It is quite difficult to get the length of a missing link exactly correct first time, so you'll probably have to have several attempts.

23-8-2016 14:31:15  #6

Thank you. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Board footera