You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-8-2016 13:02:04  #1

Broken Plastic Carriage Return Lever

I'll preface this by saying that the carriage return lever mechanism itself is not broken. Rather, the little plastic that I push with my pinky unfortunately snapped in two earlier so that I only had a stub of which I could use. There is no damage to the mechanism, rather it is merely an aesthetic issue.

The typewriter in question is my Imperial 2002. The plastic suddenly snapped off whilst I was attempting to push the carriage to the right as I was typing, as I normally do. There was no prior warning to this - no stress marks or the like - and the break itself was very clean so that when I positioned the two broken pieces onto each other, they fit practically seamlessly. 

I superglued the piece that had snapped of for by no means am I any kind of DIYer, however I am incredibly aware that the carriage return lever is now not really all that stable and likely to break again, a particular problem when the Imperial 2002 undertakes the brunt of my written work. Would it be worth attempting to find a replacement piece? Perhaps having a piece fashioned to match the look of the original? I'm at a complete loss; any suggestion would be much appreciated!

Currently the proud owner of...
Imperial 2002     -     Blick Universal     -     Olivetti Lettera 32     -     Hermes Ambassador

Dreaming of...
Hermes 3000     -     Royal Quiet De Luxe     -     Imperial Good Companion    -     Smith Corona Silent-Super     -     Royal FP

22-8-2016 13:59:27  #2

Re: Broken Plastic Carriage Return Lever

I'm wondering, and might be willing to bet, that a line space lever from another Litton typewriter from that time period will fit your typewriter. Could you post a couple of photos of the line space lever where it mounts to the carriage?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-8-2016 09:18:23  #3

Hopefully that might be a possible solution! Currently, as my Imperial otherwise works perfectly and I use it daily, I've had to make-do with fashioning a reinforced handle by positioning two metal strips around the broken area and bolting them together. It doesn't look as bad as I feared it would (rather the new metal and bolts blend quite well). Thankfully with the Imperial being near and dear to my heart as my first typewriter, I've no intention to ever sell it but I'd like to retain a look as close to how it was originally.

Imperial 2002     -     Blick Universal     -     Olivetti Lettera 32     -     Hermes Ambassador

Dreaming of...
Hermes 3000     -     Royal Quiet De Luxe     -     Imperial Good Companion    -     Smith Corona Silent-Super     -     Royal FP

24-8-2016 10:09:34  #4

I should have specified that one photo from the side/end of the carriage would also be important. In the interim I'd suggest contacting thetypewriterman who might have parts and is also in England.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-8-2016 16:20:56  #5

Your machine was made in Portugal by a firm called 'Messa' on Imperial's behalf circa late 1960's/early 1970's.  Unfortunately the 2002 does not bear any resemblance to any other machine and the line space lever is unique.  Being composite metal and plastic, breakages were quite common.  I did have just ONE brand-new lever left, but when I traded in another 2002 with just the stub of a lever left, I fitted it to that machine.  It is now the typewriter that I loan to customers when theirs is being repaired.  If it is any consolation to you, fitting the lever is a cussedly awkward job.  As you say that you are not a D-I-Yer, with all due respect I don't think that you would have been able to manage it.  Probably the best repair would be to do as you have already done and attach a metal extension to the stub.  The 2002 isn't a particularly good typewriter in any case, although I do not deny that it does type and seems to do the job.

25-8-2016 10:13:18  #6

At the very least I'm glad to know that this breakage wouldn't have been peculiar! I was fearful I'd done something wrong despite typing as I normally do. As for repairs, I probably wouldn't have been able to as my resourcefulness only stretches so far but thankfully my father is the opposite of me with regards to handiness and has offered to aid in any future repair endeavours of mine! The metal beneath the plastic that was left as a stub seemed to be hardened steel? Unsure but, whatever it was, it was tough. Shame the entire handle wasn't made out of that! 

Anyway, thanks for the help anyway, you two! Also, what a wonderful thing to do, loaning out typewriters whilst a person's is in repair! I couldn't imagine not having one to use daily. I'm sure others are just the same!

Dreaming of...

Board footera