You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-9-2016 19:54:50  #1

Found a Remington Rand

Got it today, and I love it. Just needed a cleaning, and now it's typing great. Happy it has elite typeface, which is my favorite. Is this a Rand 17? I have found little information on these machines online.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

01-9-2016 21:20:41  #2

Re: Found a Remington Rand

What you have is what looks like a Remington 17, or the precursor to the Remington KMC.  From the round hole under the type bar guide, I know this to be a pre-1946 Remington.  I've serviced many of these--including one used by the U. S. Navy during World War II.  It was painted a kind of hammertone silver.  I even fixed one that had a broken spring drum band by substituting a small gold chainmail purse strap!!  It worked.  I have in my own collection a 1939 model that has little trap doors where the ribbon spools go--yours may be just a little later built than mine--possibly the same year, but I would imagine something built in 1940 or later.  What is the serial number?

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

07-9-2016 13:14:37  #3

TypewriterKing, where can I find it?

07-9-2016 13:55:51  #4

I have a KMC, and the serial number for that model is found by removing the rear panel. Just pry carefully at the top center of the panel, right below the carriage, and that panel should come off; it's hooked on at the bottom. The serial number is stamped about halfway down (facing away from you, as it happens). Presumably your 17's serial number is in the same place.

07-9-2016 13:57:27  #5

Thanks, Fleetwing! I'll look for it later.

07-9-2016 16:28:16  #6

That's interesting about the serial number location.  On English KMCs, the serial number is under the carriage and usually begins with 'EJ'.

07-9-2016 17:04:16  #7

I have three No. 17 models and on all the serial number is located under the carriage on the right side of the machine. In some cases the letter(s) that prefix the serial number is a factory code (E for Great Britain; C for Canada).

It's worth noting that the Remington in the first post is a rebuilt model and does not have the original paint or keys.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera