You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-9-2016 06:20:22  #1

Hi New member here.......Imperial Typewriter

Hi

Hello from UK, London and thanks for the invite to the forum.

Was in an antique shop and saw this old typewriter (same as this EBAY auction  152238113341)
So got it home and bought a ribbon and cleaned it a little and it all seems to work OK. The only problem I have is the capitals and lower case are out of alignment. I have done a bit of internet searching but can't find out how to adjust this for this model. (model I am not sure about)

Would a kind person have a link on instructions on how to do this

Thanks for any help

Giulio

13-9-2016 07:06:47  #2

Re: Hi New member here.......Imperial Typewriter

Hello and welcome!

I'm not very experienced with the problem you mentioned, though I do know that there will be a set of adjustment screws - it's just a matter of identifying these screws and tweaking them carefully, in the correct order and manner. I'm sure someone more familiar with the details will be along soon to help or to guide you to instructions.

Sincerely,
beak.

13-9-2016 13:58:41  #3

13-9-2016 15:06:34  #4

Thanks for the links... I did read it but TBH I still cant find the place you need to make the ajustment sadly.

13-9-2016 15:51:09  #5

The eBay auction that you referenced didn't come up when I searched for it, so I don't know which model Imperial you have, not even whether it's a portable or a standard, which makes helping you a more difficult task. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-9-2016 16:00:03  #6

OK then.  Your machine is an Imperial 50.  To adjust the shift, you first need to take the type unit out.  It is released by the two little chrome latches just above the keyboard.  Push these down and the whole unit will slide out like a drawer.  You can then wriggle it out of the front of the machine.  The adjustment is behind and under the segment.  The proper way of adjusting is with the correct Imperial factory-supplied swan-neck spanners.  You can manage with a set of good quality BA spanners, but it makes it a very awkward job.  You will need to keep putting the unit back into the machine to check your progress, and then take it out again to make futher adjustments.  You will need a lot of patience !

16-9-2016 04:47:54  #7

20-9-2016 06:18:27  #8

I still have not sorted this out....    I played about with it and found that if I physical push up the whole middle section (the bit with all the keys that hits the paper) I can get it to type in a straight line when using upper & lower case but the adjustments in the picture I supplied before does not seem to adjust this??   It's as if the springs that push the whole middle section can't get it high enough...    So to get it typing straight I use shift to type a capital then I have to pull up on the whole typebars section and it will be level if I let go its about 3/4mm below the capital..

Any help much appreciated

Board footera