You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-9-2016 19:40:43  #1

Royal Arrow

Just picked up a 1948 Royal Arrow. A little dusty inside but the outside does not have a scratch! (a couple of marks that look like grease on back-hopefully will clean up) Working with a usable ribbon. Case in medium/good condition with a working latch.
Serial number: C1688172 which I believe is 1948. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I overpaid on this one but I was overwhelmed with the idea of owning a machine that was this pristine. $60. was as low as the seller would go.

14-9-2016 21:34:40  #2

Re: Royal Arrow

I recently got one of these myself, a 1950 I think. I saw it at a tag for $60; too high for me. Contacted the seller (the owner's son) and we agreed on $25. So yes, maybe you did overpay, but yours is probably cleaner than mine. These are really nice, simple machines. Mine has the elite type size and works great.

14-9-2016 22:03:24  #3

14-9-2016 22:05:33  #4

It's in a beautiful condition. I have yet to touch it in this picture.

14-9-2016 22:08:31  #5

Have I got a story!!  Four years ago, I bought what I later found out to be a 1949 Royal Arrow portable typewriter, pica type.  I think I paid $40 for it, but I'm not sure.  I fixed it up, cleared up a backspace issue, shoe-polished the carry-case, put in a new ribbon, and voila!!  One nice portable typewriter.  But here's the funny thing:  My girlfriend and I were going through her father's things--some old papers he had when he was working as a car salesman in the nineteen fifties (he died in 1959).  We came across a receipt for a portable Royal typewriter that listed its serial number.  I looked that up, and found he bought a '49 model.  Just for fun, I looked at the serial number of my own purchase, and what I saw made my jaw drop completely to the floor.  The two serial numbers were Identical!!  I bought his typewriter from an antique shop!!  Since then, I call that typewriter "Daddy Sam,"  After my girlfriend's late father.  Needless to say, I am NOT selling this one--EVER!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-9-2016 22:10:52  #6

Nice story. It's cool when they have a history.

14-9-2016 22:40:12  #7

That's a beautiful machine. I don't think you overpaid for it, but then again, Arrows such as this one aren't exactly common here in the Netherlands (or elsewhere in Europe, for that matter).

15-9-2016 10:46:53  #8

Arrows are fairly common in Ontario, but I still agree that $60 is not unreasonable given its condition. I've seen many that were in much worse shape sell for more, so theoldman should feel very satisfied with his purchase.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-9-2016 16:08:52  #9

Hey Uwe. Thanks. My dry spell seems to be over. I now have 4 machines to work on. Too much or happy accident. Who knows.

16-9-2016 15:45:03  #10

TypewriterKing, that is an amazing story!!

Board footera