You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-9-2016 19:40:43  #1


Royal Arrow

Just picked up a 1948 Royal Arrow. A little dusty inside but the outside does not have a scratch! (a couple of marks that look like grease on back-hopefully will clean up) Working with a usable ribbon. Case in medium/good condition with a working latch.
Serial number: C1688172 which I believe is 1948. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I overpaid on this one but I was overwhelmed with the idea of owning a machine that was this pristine. $60. was as low as the seller would go.

 

14-9-2016 21:34:40  #2


Re: Royal Arrow

I recently got one of these myself, a 1950 I think. I saw it at a tag for $60; too high for me. Contacted the seller (the owner's son) and we agreed on $25. So yes, maybe you did overpay, but yours is probably cleaner than mine. These are really nice, simple machines. Mine has the elite type size and works great.

 

14-9-2016 22:03:24  #3


Re: Royal Arrow

     •Thread Starter
 

14-9-2016 22:05:33  #4


Re: Royal Arrow

It's in a beautiful condition. I have yet to touch it in this picture.

     •Thread Starter
 

14-9-2016 22:08:31  #5


Re: Royal Arrow

Have I got a story!!  Four years ago, I bought what I later found out to be a 1949 Royal Arrow portable typewriter, pica type.  I think I paid $40 for it, but I'm not sure.  I fixed it up, cleared up a backspace issue, shoe-polished the carry-case, put in a new ribbon, and voila!!  One nice portable typewriter.  But here's the funny thing:  My girlfriend and I were going through her father's things--some old papers he had when he was working as a car salesman in the nineteen fifties (he died in 1959).  We came across a receipt for a portable Royal typewriter that listed its serial number.  I looked that up, and found he bought a '49 model.  Just for fun, I looked at the serial number of my own purchase, and what I saw made my jaw drop completely to the floor.  The two serial numbers were Identical!!  I bought his typewriter from an antique shop!!  Since then, I call that typewriter "Daddy Sam,"  After my girlfriend's late father.  Needless to say, I am NOT selling this one--EVER!!


Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness
 

14-9-2016 22:10:52  #6


Re: Royal Arrow

Nice story. It's cool when they have a history.

     •Thread Starter
 

14-9-2016 22:40:12  #7


Re: Royal Arrow

That's a beautiful machine. I don't think you overpaid for it, but then again, Arrows such as this one aren't exactly common here in the Netherlands (or elsewhere in Europe, for that matter).
 

 

15-9-2016 10:46:53  #8


Re: Royal Arrow

Arrows are fairly common in Ontario, but I still agree that $60 is not unreasonable given its condition. I've seen many that were in much worse shape sell for more, so theoldman should feel very satisfied with his purchase.

 

15-9-2016 16:08:52  #9


Re: Royal Arrow

Hey Uwe. Thanks. My dry spell seems to be over. I now have 4 machines to work on. Too much or happy accident. Who knows.

     •Thread Starter
 

16-9-2016 15:45:03  #10


Re: Royal Arrow

TypewriterKing, that is an amazing story!!

 

Board footera