You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-9-2016 16:59:53  #1

Olympia SM9

I have a 60s SM9 that works great but three keys will not lay flat. They type well, no sticking,
and I've clean the mechanism, but they will not lay flat with the othera. Just a little proud. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Wish I could post a photo

17-9-2016 17:16:07  #2

Re: Olympia SM9

The most likely problem is that there are wire typebar linkages that have become misshapen from some prior abuse of the machine. Are the keys themselves level with those around them? Work on one of the problem keys at a time, compare its linkages to those on either side. A little poking around and the problem should make itself obvious to you.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-9-2016 22:53:38  #3

Hi! Thanks for the response. I noticed that I could provide a URL, so take a look at this  https://vimeo.com/183165463

It's the 5,6, & 7 keys. As you hopefully can see they are not sitting level with the keys next to them. Are the linkages you mention what we are  looking at or under the typewriter? Thanks again.

17-9-2016 22:55:57  #4

The arm of the #7 key definitely looks a little off

18-9-2016 11:00:30  #5

If it types fine, what's the problem?

18-9-2016 11:06:25  #6

KatLondon wrote:

If it types fine, what's the problem?

That's a good question. I would just like to know what's causing it and if I can fix it.

18-9-2016 11:51:22  #7

Well... it's not an unusual situation. I think that sometimes when a machine has had heavy use, the soft metal of the typebar and its linkages underneath can get a bit bent. I've had ones - mostly Skyriters and so on - where all the typebars were so out that it looked like a mouth full of crooked teeth. 

Trying to straighten those up seems dauntingly finicky and a bit pointless if they aren't causing you any problems... trying to bend them back could even make a new problem But see what the others say...

18-9-2016 13:12:29  #8

Yes, better to leave it alone. Another question:

I just put a new ribbon in and every time I CR the ribbon reverses away from the take up spool so the ribbon stops within a few words on the eyelet embedded towards the end of the ribbon. I move the reverse mechanism back into the right direction but again as soon as I CR its reverses.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

19-9-2016 02:30:56  #9

I hate ribbon mechanisms. They're always doing something weird. But what is CR?

19-9-2016 04:07:20  #10

Pinch wrote:

Yes, better to leave it alone. Another question:

I just put a new ribbon in and every time I CR the ribbon reverses away from the take up spool so the ribbon stops within a few words on the eyelet embedded towards the end of the ribbon. I move the reverse mechanism back into the right direction but again as soon as I CR its reverses.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Thing is, the SM9 does not require an eyeleted ribbon - in fact it can't use them.  The ribbon reverse works by simple tension when the end of a spool is reached.  Spool to one end and remove ribbon from spool and cut off the end just before the eyelet, then reattach.  Spool to the other end and do the same.  Should reverse automatically now.  PS, I don't know what CR is either.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera