You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-1-2017 10:23:58  #11

Re: All-Thumbs

I have two 'young people' resident in the house and I have just confirmed that both use both thumbs to txt. I got a rather quizzical look from daughter who asked how else was she was supposed to do it. I sent a txt to my son earlier, the usual message which reads 'please phone it takes me too long to txt you'. I use one finger to txt, takes forever but I just cannot manage to use my thumbs.

26-1-2017 06:37:44  #12

Re: All-Thumbs

retro wrote:

I have two 'young people' resident in the house and I have just confirmed that both use both thumbs to txt. I got a rather quizzical look from daughter who asked how else was she was supposed to do it. I sent a txt to my son earlier, the usual message which reads 'please phone it takes me too long to txt you'. I use one finger to txt, takes forever but I just cannot manage to use my thumbs.

First, actually reading the thread before commenting as ancient Internet etiquette required me to do, I see zTyper was ahead of me in reporting the one-thumb-one-index-finger technique which my hands had worked out between them, so apologies to him for not recognizing his prior art. Second, on a phone with a smallish screen by modern standards I've noticed I can touchscreen type faster in portrait than in landscape, which seems paradoxical since the on-screen letters are all squeezed together that way. Perhaps this is for the same reason that stenographers used narrow column pads - less range of motion.

I'm a passable typist on the device with the physical keyboard -- too good, in fact, since it facilitates dashing off heated replies when allowing the iron to cool first would have been better.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera