You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-9-2013 16:56:48  #1

Groma Kolibri Luxus

Does anyone have any insight into the production dates for the Kolibri models? I've seen a number of bloggers provide a specific year for the manufacture of their Kolibri models, but I stumped as to where they found the information. The Typewriter Database doesn't seem to have any information on the Kolibri, just Groma's earlier portable models such as the E, N, and T, so it isn't any help for narrowing down a year for my Kolibri Luxus.

There were, as far as I can tell, a few subtle changes made to the markings of these machines over the years. Some had a Groma badge on the front of the ribbon cover - others didn't - and the information on the back of the machines also seemed to vary. Mine is an export model, which I believe is an even rarer example than the already somewhat rare (read expensive) German models that you see for sale online.

There were a few mechancial changes made as well, but I'm still in the process of verifying some of them. 

Given the differences that I'm noting between my Luxus and the photos I've seen of others online, I think mine must be a model that was produced toward the end of the model's production history.

Photo: My Kolibri Luxus

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-10-2013 04:45:18  #2

Re: Groma Kolibri Luxus

Agreed it's a much-desired machine.  How's the restoration going; have you formed an opinion about its typing qualities?

Sincerely,
beak.

31-10-2013 15:02:12  #3

beak wrote:

Agreed it's a much-desired machine.  How's the restoration going; have you formed an opinion about its typing qualities?

Unfortunately, I haven't spent any time yet on its restoration. I have a large backlog of machines that need attention, and some are turning out to be far more stubborn than I expected. For example I have a Cole Steel with a strange escapement problem that just refuses to allow itself to be fixed. I know that I'll get it working eventually, but it's frustrating because it's preventing me from getting to other machines such as the Groma.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-11-2013 21:29:49  #4

The Groma looks a lot like a Voss, could it be a variation of the same machine?  I notice the entire shape, the controlls on the right and left, the cover of the type bars;  I have a Voss that I like; do they type the same?   Notquite_there

04-11-2013 12:20:07  #5

Unfortunately, I don't own a Voss to use as a comparison. They are very stylish machines and it would be nice to add one to the collection someday. From what I've seen of Voss portables, I know there is a passing resemblance between the Privat model and the Kolibri, but when you start looking at the details, even just the shape of the ribbon cover, they're quite different. 

Could you post a photo of your machine? It would be very interesting to have a look at it and it's very possible that it's a different model from the one that I'm thinking of.

07-11-2013 14:53:52  #6

Notquite_there;   Got a photo of my Voss in my documents,  but can`t figgure out how to paste it to this message.  I clicked on to "copy" but when I clicked paste above I got a separate window that said to type in Ctrl+v  then hit "add", but it didn`t work.  I am a little new at this technology.  Any suggestions?

07-11-2013 15:12:51  #7

Notquite_there wrote:

Got a photo of my Voss in my documents,  but can`t figgure out how to paste it to this message. Any suggestions?

Try reading the FAQ thread for this forum; there are instructions there.

11-11-2013 13:46:47  #8

Noquite_there:  This is a 1960`s Voss, it has a metal case.  It does nothave the "gull wing" type bar cover, which is the more desireable model.   The pink shift key color of ink  did not come standard, but was added before I bought it. It has a new roman font, which is quite nice.  It types solid , with a firm action.  

=16pxt

11-11-2013 17:48:40  #9

Nice machine, to be sure. The pink key is very unusual; was it painted, or lifted off another typewriter? 

With respect to how your Voss compares to the Groma, I'd say that they're quite different. The Voss looks to be the size of a regular portable, but the Groma Kolibri is what I call an "ultra-portable" because it's so much smaller and lighter than the typical portable.

Ultra-portables usually weigh around 7 pounds whereas normal portables are typically over 10 pounds. Having travelled with a typewriter recently as an experiement, I can tell you that the extra weight is significant. 

On the high seas with an Olympia Traveller DeLuxe:

13-11-2013 20:01:37  #10

Notquite_there:     The pink key was painted on; but more than that,  when  I got the machine at a thrift store--from the owner`s teen age daugnter--it was covered with kitchen-cabnet , black and white masking, in checker board style.   It was quite  job cleaning it up.   I will weigh it as it is pretty heavy, though small.  The case unclips front and back and slips appart,  revealing the whole inner construction.  No stamped out parts on this one--all looks crafted.    I read that Voss did not make desk-top typewriters;  the portables were to be professional machines, though.
    I believe that I have seen a few Vosses ;for sale on the internet if you want one;  I wouldn`t part with mine though.       Regards

Board footera