You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-11-2016 16:57:56  #11

Re: Royal Arrow Typewriter

Hi

Being as you are just getting started, I would suggest picking up a twin spool typewriter ribbon so you don't have to worry about how to get the old ribbon from one of the old spools and attach the new ribbon. If your machine still has the metal spools, hang onto them as they are no longer made. The ribbon you need is the universal standard ½" (13 mm) on a 2" (51 mm) spool with a 5/32" (4 mm) center hole. These days there are several different colours of ribbon available on 3 basic spool sizes. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

06-11-2016 17:29:52  #12

helpme wrote:

I am not sure how to post a photo, but from your descriptions and google images it seem to be an arrow.  A friend who knows more about typewriters came and had a look at it and thinks it is in  great nick.  It doesn't have Arrow written on it, but not sure if that makes it one of the first ones or not.  

Anyone with any useful advice on royal arrows and any nice quirks to this machine?  What type of ribbon do I need to buy?  Is it just a universal ribbon that does most machines?  It is a joy to type with but as I have little experience with typewriters it might be like any other.    

The first thing you do is go on the typewriter database on line to match the serial number of your typewriter in with the serial numbers there.  If your machine was made early in 1939, there's a chance it was one of the first.  It could also be that the decal has worn off.  The one on my 1949 model has worn nearly off, but enough of it remains that it says it's an Arrow.  In general, except for the lack of a tabulator, the typewriter is manufactured identically to the Quiet Deluxe machines, and is of the same great quality.  The touch is quite light and bouncy.  The ribbon spools should be fairly easy to find if you go looking in antique stores, flea markets, or anywhere they sell secondhand merchandise.  If worse comes to worst, you can use universal spools, but they're real chintzy.  Most typewriters made use this spool--including a majority of foreign (to the U. S.) makes and models of typewriter.  From some toy typewriters to the big Smith-Corona 410s used them.  Some of the later 400s used them too.  If you still have trouble finding spools, let me know and I'll send you a couple.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

09-11-2016 15:29:30  #13

Thank you will go out and look for some ribbons and do some more research on the quiet deluxe to find out more about the machine.  I am heading for a day out with my Mum and I am sure I can persuade her to go to a big antiques place, but that might be quite dangerous now that I seem a little too interested in everything vintage.  

30-11-2016 16:42:59  #15

Are there any office supply chain stores in the UK? There must be. I'd like to think they carry, either online or in store, standard ("universal") typewriter ribbons, on spools.

You should also contact TypewriterGuy, who's on this forum and located in the UK. He has an online business in typewriter supplies, including spools and ribbons.

30-11-2016 17:55:46  #16

Fleetwing wrote:

You should also contact TypewriterGuy, who's on this forum and located in the UK. He has an online business in typewriter supplies, including spools and ribbons.

I'm sure you're thinking of thetypewriterman

helpme, I would send a PM to KatLondon who would definitely know where to get ribbons locally. Other than maybe a slightly higher shipping cost, it shouldn't matter who you order ribbons from if they're on eBay and they have a good feedback score.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-12-2016 14:17:07  #17

You're right, Uwe, I just realized my error. And I think KatLondon would be helpful here too, as you said.

01-12-2016 15:12:46  #18

Ah, I've just seen this thread. I'm so glad it works really well! And typewriters and kids are a completely WONDERFUL combination. Seven! She should love it. What a wonderful present.  

Board footera