You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-11-2016 09:17:15  #1

How far would you go with cleaning?

When it comes to collecting knives collectors like to do as little to the knife as possible.  To make it shiny and razor sharp like the day it was sold is to destroy the value in a collectable piece. This is one of the reasons why I don't collect knives. I like to return a piece back to the shiny luster like the day it was sold.

So this evening I was spending some time with my Royal 10 polishing the key tops. First I gently used a sharp edge to scrape away the decades of crud that builds up until the metal ring and the sides of the metal ring. Then I polished with a soft cloth and finally a microfiber cloth. I only got about three keys done and will continue the process over the next few weeks.

I realised that I was polishing away eighty something years of signs of use. Maybe someone with the right skills set could tell how tall the typer was based on which keys were habitually missed or some such information. But I don't care. I like shiny things.

Then the other day I was reading about some typewriter collectors who like to completely disassemble,  strip, and repaint old typewriters. Apart from being far too lazy to go this far I feel that this would strip the machine of its 'soul' for lack of a more fitting word.

So how far do you like to go when cleaning a Typewriter? What is acceptable to leave behind, smell, grime, correction fluid stains?

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

04-11-2016 10:06:16  #2

Re: How far would you go with cleaning?

I'm lazy myself, and furthermore don't have the skills to disassemble, clean and reassemble a typewriter. Probably I should, since there's a good possibility it'll make the machine work better -- which is the most important thing.

I do try to clean it up to the extent I can -- shell, keys, typeslugs, platen; blow out cobwebs, eraser crumbs and the like. But that's about it. I am not aware of there being "concours d'elegance" types of typewriter shows, as there are with collectible automobiles!

In terms of cleaning affecting value, I will start by saying that typewriters are products that were made in large volumes -- these are not pieces of early American furniture, say, which were handmade and for which a cleaning drastically reduces their value. So I'd say cleaning can only benefit a typewriter, both in terms of its usability and its value. But again, typewriter values are low to begin with, so go for it.

The big exception is for very rare variants, or those with a special provenance -- like if you can show that a certain machine was actually owned and used by a James Baldwin or Tennessee Williams, for instance. In those situations, especially ones with famous owners, I think you want to leave them alone -- don't remove the great man's fingerprints or nicotine residue.

04-11-2016 10:09:10  #3

Hello All,

Regarding this, I personally like to leave a bit of my typewriters history on my typewriters (as well as the other things that I collect / repair). I feel that if I clean and restore anything to the point of being 'New' it defeats the point of having and caring for anything old. Why have something which has lasted so well for so long if you can basically have a 'New' one ?
Why bother to carefully clean and restore a 500 year old picture if you can get someone to paint a new one - because it's history that it carries with it is important.
I would clean and repair to the point where things look neat and work, but by no means try to get my stuff back to 'Just left the factory' look and feel.
I'm sure other people have totally different feeling about this stuff, but there you go.

Alan.

04-11-2016 10:15:56  #4

There are plenty of points on both sides of this question, and for a machine which exists in reasonable numbers, I can see no reason why the owner should not please themselves how far they take the restoration.  If it restoration in the true sense and not what some in the antiques trade call restoration, which means stripping down to the base metal anything with a brass base and polishing it until it hurts to look at it.  That sort of vandalism is common with vintage telephones and navigational instruments, for instance.
I think a machine should be basically clean - the way its original owner might have cared for it.  But super-bright chromium and immaculately repainted (usually in inappropriate colours) in the fashion of vintage car bibbers is a sad case of more is less all round, IMO
However, typewriters of rare make or model should, I believe, be treated as living history; no restoration that removes or covers up permanently any original finish is acceptable in my book.

As an example of this, I have an Alpina SK24 from the 1950s which is, as far as I can tell, unused except by me very occasional and carefully, and the original finishes are in virtually mint condition generally.  I shall not touch them.  There are very mild traces of surface rust to one or two linkages internally, and I have simply covered them with a light grease to keep out any air or moisture, so they are now stable, I trust.
The only other thing that I can think to say tonight is that it is doubtless wise always to stop short in the restoration, and err on the side of preservation than go to far in making things look artificially and unconvincingly new.  Good luck whatever you decide to do while you are guardian of this thing from the past.

Sincerely,
beak.

04-11-2016 10:20:33  #5

I ask you; 'to far'   - I meant 'too far'.
Handsome vintage claret and the lack of edit function is a risky combination.

Sincerely,
beak.

04-11-2016 17:39:53  #6

It has often been said that a fine watch works best with tampered with the least.  A typewriter essentially has clockwork innards, and to try to take one of those machines of 2,000 or more parts and to try to put it all back together again in my opinion is nutty.  Even if you could manage to get the whole pile of levers, keys, type bars, gears, rollers, and bellcranks back together in one unified piece, the machine just won't be the same, whether you've got it together the right way or not.  NDW76 is right:  It would lose its soul and character.  And the "old typewriter smell" would be gone (I almost cried getting out that one).

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

07-11-2016 17:01:36  #7

For myself, if I can get a typewriter to a point where it functions without issue, and all of the exterior and interior parts that I can access are as clean as they can be without risking something happening to the machine, I'm happy.  I accept that after 30 or 50 or 100 years, a typewriter isn't ever going to be 'new', so if I can make it that best that it can be without overreaching my abilities, I'm satisfied.  None of the machines I have would ever be described as museum quality, but all are reasonably clean inside and out and look great if I decide to stare at them while writing - close inspection would certainly reveal the ravages of time in most cases.

In the end, I agree with TypewriterKing - I always do the minimum amount of disassembly possible to achieve my aims, and I never tamper with things that I'm not absolutely certain I can put back together.

25-12-2016 12:24:31  #8

Heh, I usually always mostly rebuild mine. If they are easy, like old royals, underwoods, anything older than the 30s. Desktops of course. I'm going to try dip dunking my first tomorrow, an underwood 3 bank. No it is not needed for most people, however if you sell them like me then yes it is. It makes the typewriter much more clean then just bowing out air (which is still perfectly fine for most) however for that complete clean you have to take them apart at least some of the way. For example with an underwood 5 I take out the type bars and the carriage the ribbon advance mechanisms, everything but the keys and clean it. It makes a huge difference because I am able to polish everything in the hard to reach areas. Then when you put it back together, it's great to adjust it to your needs. Some you can't do this with though, like with a noiseless. That's when dip cleaning or whatever else works.

25-12-2016 17:09:58  #9

Yeah, those noiseless typewriters are complex, strange ducks.  Also, I have yet to find one that's a decent printer.  Oh, Remington makes a fine machine--one of the oldest in the industry.  But for some reason their forte from practice has not been their print quality.  A few rare ones escape, but I'm only by  the examples that have come across my repair bench down here in Central Texas.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera