You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-11-2016 12:44:06  #11

Re: 1970s Olympia SG3

Fleetwing wrote:

...perhaps look for a somewhat earlier vintage of the SG3, like from the later '60s.

The SG3 was introduced in '63. Off-hand I'm not sure when the Mexican models started, but the one I have dates to the early '80s. As with the SG1, there were different variations of the SG3 available, so they aren't all the same in terms of feature sets.

drowth wrote:

I've found an SG3 on ebay from 1967 (the model with the paper injector). It looks to be good quality. The problem is that these machines tend to be collection only. I'll try to convince the owner to courier it.

If you only take one piece of advice from this thread, it would be to pick up the machine in person, and not have it shipped. We have threads here that discuss shipping and fully explain the perils that a typewriter faces when travelling any distance in an unprotected condition, and handled by people who don't care what's inside of the box that they can barely lift.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-11-2016 12:58:42  #12

drowth wrote:

I think I'm going to hold out for a cheap unserviced example and work with that. I assume as well that standard machines, being built like tanks, are less prone to faults. Would you agree?

Less prone than a portable? I wouldn't say that standards are less prone to faults than a portable, but they were designed for the rigors of professional and commercial use, and if you're using a typewriter as a tool for writing I would stay clear of a portable. There's a good reason why they're much bigger and heavier than their portable counterparts that had to make concessions for the sake of convenience. There's a reason why offices were filled with standards, and although some might try to convince you otherwise, I find the performance and feel of a big standard to be vastly superior to that of a portable.

I've been using one SG1 for writing a novel and to date it has managed to produce 440+ pages (approximately 140,000 words) of flawless type and the only thing that I've had to do with it so far is flip the ribbon over and clean it a little. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-11-2016 13:23:20  #13

I always wondered why standards weigh 3+ times as much as a portable. If, as you say, they are vastly superior to portables then I will definitely invest. I'm currently using an Adler Gabriele 35 (J5 in America). It's pretty nice, but I don't have much to compare to. Since I never move it (I have an Adler Tippa for portable use), a standard makes sense. 

09-11-2016 13:26:54  #14

Also, don't think that, because a standard-size machine is built more sturdily since it's meant to withstand heavier use, that it will survive shipping any better than a portable. If anything it's the latter, since it's more massive (and thus will hit the ground with greater force). Go pick up the machine rather than having it sent, whatever you do!

09-11-2016 13:30:35  #15

I take your point. Unfortunately, not owning a car makes picking up a 17kg typewriter a little difficult!

09-11-2016 14:36:54  #16

Another forum member who lives in London describes in another thread how she brought home an SG3 on the bus and upstairs. Can you rent or borrow a car?

09-11-2016 15:00:05  #17

I am tempted to borrow a car if possible and go after an SG3.

10-11-2016 13:23:24  #18

I've been looking at a Hermes Standard 8. What are your thoughts on that machine compared with an SG1/3. There's one on ebay atm.

10-11-2016 13:49:45  #19

I don't know that machine, so I'll leave it to others like Uwe (who may have one!) to comment. Of course, that doesn't stop me from opining: You can't go wrong with either of the Olympias. The Hermes machines are of course known for having a nice touch, but I also think mechanically they might be a little fragile. And they seem to command a price premium, while the Olys should be obtainable for a more reasonable price.

You said it's on eBay; how far away? Again, you do not want this shipped.

10-11-2016 14:29:49  #20

I have thought about the shipping problem. Thing is, realistically, I'm not going to be able to get such a machine any other way. Public transport isn't an option and getting hold of a car is tricky. I could rent one, but only with difficulty and at great expense for reasons too boring to go into. The Hermes 8 that I found on ebay starts at 20 pounds and is likely to attract only me as a bidder, delivery is 9.95. The risk of wasting 30 pounds I can live with.

Board footera