You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-11-2016 11:47:18  #11

Re: SG1 shift problem - I've looked everywhere for an answer!

beak wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder if such ball-bearing slides are not intended to be oiled at all -  they appear to be well oiled at present..

I have had some success with lithium grease (not oil) on ball bearings. It stays in place longer than oil. Worth a try. I greased the bearings on my Hermes basket-shift mechanism. They were also held between rails. I just put some grease in where I could reach smeared it around with a toothpick, shifted a couple of times and then wiped away excess. But mine weren't already oiled...

19-11-2016 18:38:15  #12

I'm inclined to agree.  I've always touted tranny (automatic transmission) fluid, but for the heavier mechanisms, such as the shift mechanism, grease may be more in order.  The trouble with grease, though, is its tendency to harden over time, making for a worse problem for sticking than before.  You have to change out the grease from time to time, depending on what type of grease you use.  I'm not sure about lithium--the jury's out on that one for me.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

21-11-2016 04:44:31  #13

I used it on a hunch, not based on any research. If I run into problems, I'll post them here so others can avoid.

21-11-2016 04:50:59  #14

Based on 5 minutes research, I now regret lithium. It apparently hardens to a white paste over time. So I look forward to that cleaning job. I have had success with TF2 Dry PTFE Lubricant over the years.

21-11-2016 08:14:08  #15

Update.
Today compared problem SG1 shift with two working examples - no difference in feel whatever.
Feet are not the problem.
Drenched all shift linkages and the ball-bearing section with degreaser while operating the shift scores of times, and re-examined all linkages for distorted parts and for any possible rubbing contact with any other parts - nothing.
No change at all, and I'm completely stumped!

Sincerely,
beak.

21-11-2016 08:50:03  #16

The basket is raised from being shifted by a spring (at least on my Hermes standard). My guess is that the spring is worn out. If you can access it, you could create a new spring by cutting back a couple of coils and creating a new loop. Even if this is not the cause of the problem, it will restore enough tension to raise the basket without assistance.

21-11-2016 10:49:02  #17

I checked the springs - they are sound and tight, and I wound the assist adjustment up to full anyway.  I don't think this is the problem because once that first half-millimetre of travel is caused by hand, the basket raises strongly and normally.   By the feel of it, there is certainly something fouling or sticking somewhere which simply prevents the action from beginning, but once started, it is normal.

Sincerely,
beak.

21-11-2016 11:21:51  #18

Well, I'm out of ideas...

21-11-2016 16:23:34  #19

I promised to keep my nose out of this sub-forum, but...

Have you checked the keybar comb under the keyboard? If the teeth of the comb are not perfectly parallel they can cause the shift key lever to bind, even just enough to jam the action. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-11-2016 20:31:10  #20

Uwe wrote:

Have you checked the keybar comb under the keyboard? ......... 

I know what you mean - it was one of the first things I checked, but only cursorily - I'll check again!

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera