You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-12-2016 13:23:14  #1

Olympia SM4

I bought it yesterday and noticed there's an "S" stamped on the plate in the basket carriage. The letter has a crown over it, and both are red. The machine has a white body and black keys. What does the "S" stand for?

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

01-12-2016 14:01:15  #2

Re: Olympia SM4

I've never come across an official explanation for the S-badging on the segment cover, which was used on a number of different models. Given the manufacturing date range of those that I've seen, my own theory is that it indicates a De Luxe model. My reasoning is based on mid-'50s Olympia model designations that included -N and -S suffixes; the -N models were standard ("Normal Modell") fitment machines, while the -S variants represented the deluxe versions ("Super-Modell").  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-12-2016 14:03:37  #3

That's what I suspect, too, Uwe. Thanks for the info. Are these machines more rare than other SM4s?

01-12-2016 15:05:50  #4

Pretty! I don't have an SM4 but my SM3 has 'De Luxe' in red in the same position. I'm never quite sure what that actually means, to be honest. It's just an SM3 and thus a wonderful thing. I think there are so many variants of various machines - look at all the guises of the Splendids/Socialites/SFs - that any particular thing is going to be more rare than all the others that aren't that particular thing. 

01-12-2016 16:28:02  #5

typeset wrote:

Are these machines more rare than other SM4s?

​Not I believe so. I too have an SM-4 with the little "S" above the segment and I think it's been in every picture of the SM-4 that I've seen. I just look at it as a little splash of color, an accent for the overall look of the typewriter. It is especially pretty with my dark olive green; which it gives a nice red contrast.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

01-12-2016 17:13:11  #6

typeset wrote:

Are these machines more rare than other SM4s?

No (see below).

ztyper wrote:

I too have an SM-4 with the little "S" above the segment and I think it's been in every picture of the SM-4 that I've seen. 

It could be argued that the SM4 is a deluxe version of the SM3, and so every machine should be badged as such. However, not every SM4 had the segment cover with the engraved S. I've seen early SM4s with "De Luxe" instead of the S, and later SM4s without any engraving at all. However, these observations are all inconclusive; without knowing the history of each individual model you look at, it can't be positively stated if those other segment covers were original to the machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-12-2016 04:29:23  #7

ztyper wrote:

[It is especially pretty with my dark olive green; which it gives a nice red contrast.

Christmassy! :D

02-12-2016 12:09:48  #8

02-12-2016 12:41:55  #9

That's called Senatorial, according to the Olympia catalog.

02-12-2016 13:25:42  #10

typeset wrote:

What is the name of that typeface?

http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=14235#p14235

Board footera