You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-12-2016 11:24:30  #1

Willy Wonka's Half Typewriter

If you remember the classic 1971 movie, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (RIP Gene Wilder), in the penultimate scene, Charlie and Grandpa Joe go into Willy Wonka's office, where everything from the clock to the lamp to the desk is sawed neatly in half. The very first thing you see in that scene (and is only in focus for a millisecond) is a typewriter, also sawed neatly in half. Here's that typewriter:

Any guesses as to what make/model typewriter it is? Also note: the movie was filmed in Munich, Germany, so.....?

28-12-2016 22:23:50  #2

Re: Willy Wonka's Half Typewriter

It looks to be some sort of early Olympia without a front plate. Like an m40? But it has that lever on the left... I don't know.

28-12-2016 23:07:22  #3

TyperwriterGuy wrote:

It looks to be some sort of early Olympia without a front plate. Like an m40?

It's not an Olympia as they never had raised ribbon spools, and the M40 is actually an Olivetti model, which the Wonka machine is not even similar to.

My guess, and I'd put money on it, is that it's an Orga Model 10, which was manufactured during the late '40s.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-12-2016 14:19:48  #4

If you look closely below the ribbon spool there is a decal that says "Modell 10"

My blog - Just Typewriters

29-12-2016 20:36:11  #5

If you look closely below the ribbon spool you will see a cryptic series of illegible marks which plausibly say "MODELL 10" after that interpretation has been suggested!

Can't resist linking this beautiful photo of a model 9 ferreted out by Google...
http://www.fotocommunity.de/photo/o-r-g-a-schreibmaschine-brigitte-specht/16980629

a.k.a. "Die Meisterschreiber von Nürnberg"... It looks like "ORGA" on the front of the body but it sure as heck looks like "ORCA" on the paper table.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

30-12-2016 09:22:05  #6

Lol. 
You guys are too much fun. 

Board footera