You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-1-2017 15:21:09  #1

Olympia SG1 Mainspring Adjustment

How is the mainspring tightened on the SG1? I see on the outside of the drum what looks like a sort of wingnut, with a hex nut on the axis. The wingnut looks like it was to be used for hand tightening; doesn't seem to budge, though, so I wonder whether the hex nut has to be loosened first (?).

Why am I asking? I have found that the double spacing feature on my project SG1 is not consistent -- I have to type very deliberately to make sure it double spaces. But that technique isn't always effective. So I am wondering whether a little more spring tension would be helpful. (Cleaning the escapement doesn't seem to have made a difference.)

19-1-2017 18:29:38  #2

Re: Olympia SG1 Mainspring Adjustment

I think it's ill-advised to increase the tension on the drawband until you have eliminated all the other potential causes for the problem you described. Proper drawband tension (mainspring resistance) for the SG1 should be around 800g. 

The spaced typing mechanism employs a special lever that presses into the universal bar when activated and it sounds like you should be looking at that instead arbitrarily increasing the mainspring tension.I would make sure that this lever is clean and moving properly first. The lever's travel distance is adjustable (IF necessary) via the wire linkage connected to the bottom of it. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-1-2017 21:03:38  #3

Thanks, Uwe. I have tried to figure out how this works but haven't doped it out yet. Is this lever visible from the bottom of the machine, or from above when the carriage is removed?

19-1-2017 21:14:12  #4

You can find it by either following the universal bar, or the linkages attached to the spacing key that controls it. You should do that anyway in case there is something else hindering the mechanism.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-1-2017 21:55:34  #5

Thanks. I've looked at it with the carriage off; obviously I need to have it on since it doesn't space without the carriage in place.

22-1-2021 21:08:29  #6

Older discussion...

But I had to replace my SG1 draw-band and adjust its tension.

Although this You-Tube video is in German which I do not speak or understand... I was able to follow the speaker/repair-person just by watching what he was doling. 

I made my repair and tension adjustment while the carriage was off of the machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8glyKb_de4

Board footera