You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-10-2013 16:22:32  #1

1964 Imperial Good Companion - perfect except for stuck carriage!

One of the best parts about selling at the local weekly outdoor antique market is that you get a front row seat when something new arrives. On Sunday I grabbed this 1964 Imperial Good Companion for $20:

It's extremely clean and seems to be in perfect condtion, but the carriage is jammed! I've gone over it numerous times, trying every lever, button, and knob I could, hoping it was a lock or something, with no luck. What could be causing the carriage to refuse to move? The shift key from lower to upper case letters also doesn't work. Any ideas?
Thanks typomaniacs -
AF

15-10-2013 16:43:36  #2

Re: 1964 Imperial Good Companion - perfect except for stuck carriage!

There IS a carriage lock.  It is a little chrome plated lever under the carriage, but I can't quite remember if it is on the right or the left !  Failing that, look underneath the machine to see if the draw cord is tangled up around the spring drum.  This is a very common fault with these machines, caused by the grease inside the spring drum hardening and causing sluggish action - leading to the cord becoming tangled up.

15-10-2013 16:56:08  #3

Hey, I've made some progress thanks to that advice! The problem isn't the carriage, it's that wheel underneath the typewriter that the cable wraps around. When I loosen the cable by taking it off the smaller wheel that's between the carriage and the wheel in question (that probably won't make any sense unless you're already familiar with what I'm talking about), the carriage moves fine. It's the wheel that's jammed and won't turn. There appears to be a metal spring inside of the wheel. Could this be stuck or otherwise damaged?

15-10-2013 17:04:06  #4

I thought so !  That metal spring (like a clock spring) was packed in grease when it left the factory.  The grease has now set like concrete.  The spring drum (that you call a wheel) needs to be dismantled and the spring taken out.  Clean spring and drum with solvent (carburettor cleaner should work),lubricate with SEWING MACHINE OIL, reassemble, reattach the draw cord and adjust for correct tension.

15-10-2013 17:06:18  #5

Thank you! I will try that and let you know how it goes.
AF

15-10-2013 17:26:00  #6

Now I'm wondering if the spring is in fact the problem. It appears to have a lot of oil on it and doesn't seem to be stuck or congealed. There's a hook underneath the spring drum that I assume is designed to prevent the drum from moving back when it's under spring pressure. This hook seems to be preventing the drum from turning at all.
     Here's a picture of the drum:

And here's a picture of the same place with the drum removed, showing the hook:

How is this hook intended to interact with the drum, and is there a way that the hook is causing this problem? There's a gear on the bottom of the drum (meaning on the bottom of the drum when the typewriter is upside down; the gear is between the drum and the typewriter); this gear meshes with the hook.

15-10-2013 23:16:56  #7

Most mainspring/drawband issues that I've come across and repaired didn’t involve congealed grease, but other issues that fouled the mechanism.

I’m not sure that I completely understood what was going on from your description (I should probably read it over again), but is it possible that there wasn't any built-up tension on the mainspring when you first tried to use the typewriter? When you turned the mainspring drum by hand could you feel the spring building up tension - or was the drum completely frozen in place, impossible to turn by hand?

What you call a "hook" is a detent pawl. It's used to make adjustments to the mainspring tension, which is why it has a lever on it. If you can move it freely without the drum in place it most likely has nothing to do with the problem you're experiencing.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-10-2013 04:38:11  #8

The hook allows you to set the spring drum tension after you have refitted it.  See that little stud next to it with the screwdriver slot ?  You need to remove that to allow the pawl to work.  You turn the spring drum with your fingers using the little raised parts to grip it, and as you do, the ratchet operates undeneath.  If the tension is too great, you can let a little off by flicking the pawl.  When you are hapy with the setting, you replace the stud to prevent the pawl moving when the machine is in use.  I am 95% convinced that the problem is congealed grease.  This problem is unique to Imperials.

10-2-2014 16:07:56  #9

I have been reading this nthread with interest and it has really helped me.

I used the advice regarding the congealed grease blocking the tension spring and cleaned out the spring.  The released the previously jammed up spring.

Unfortunately the spring popped out of its casing.

I am confident if i get it back in the typewriter will be fully functional again as it was only the cariage return (it wouldn't move along after typing a letter) that seemed faulty.  Any advice to get this back in guys?  I had been planning to sell the typewriter but after fixing up i have fell in love with it.

Its the first typewriter (or destroyed as the case may be) i have repaired and what a feat of mechanical engineeering they are!  I just in my 30s so never really used typewriters before.

I hope you can help.  Can post pics if this will be helpful.  

10-2-2014 17:06:03  #10

I've removed and reinstalled mainsprings without much problem and didn't really do anything special. Just hook the end of the spring in the drum and then slowly start coiling the spring while using a thumb to keep it in place. Of course spings might vary from machine to machine, and I don't think you mentioned which typewriter (make/model) you're working on, so it's difficult to be specific.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera