You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-1-2017 18:35:52  #1

Typewriter movie! California Typewriter!

Hi guys!

I have found out that there is a movie called California Typewriter out there! Is there anyone who has seen it? Do you recommend a typewriter collector to look at it?

Greetings!

25-1-2017 19:37:38  #2

Re: Typewriter movie! California Typewriter!

It had its premier in Toronto a couple of weeks ago, but I passed, as did a couple of the other collectors that I know in the city. I'm not sure what their reasons were for not wanting to see the film (they only told me that they weren't going), but my decision was based on watching its trailer; I found the rhetoric used for its voice-over to be ridiculous, which was enough to put me off seeing it.

California Typewriter also seems to be very similar to another doc that was released a few years ago called The Typewriter (In The 21st Century). That film had a number of intriguing scenes, in particular the interviews with writers who are still using typewriters, but I ended up fast-forwarding through some of the other scenes that featured enthusiasts/collectors. Ironically, I had actually attended the premier of that film in Toronto with Valiant (another member here), but for some inexplicable reason it was shown in the back of a bar and we missed a lot of the dialogue because those around us were talking quite loudly (apparently the film had bored them), so I was forced to buy a copy of the film later on just to hear what I had missed. 

If you want to watch a nice typewriter film I would strongly recommend Populaire.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-1-2017 23:03:46  #3

Yeah.  But just remember to find a copy with subtitles--unless you know French.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

30-1-2017 09:28:20  #4

Oh yes, we had all this conversation before about Populaire... I can't believe that a French film would be sold in the US without subtitles! I'd love to see California typewriter, I don;t mind silly and I like the human interest. But it's cinemas/festivals only, so I could be in for a long wait.

01-2-2017 18:52:24  #5

KatLondon wrote:

Oh yes, we had all this conversation before about Populaire... I can't believe that a French film would be sold in the US without subtitles! I'd love to see California typewriter, I don;t mind silly and I like the human interest. But it's cinemas/festivals only, so I could be in for a long wait.

You'd be surprised what you find in flea markets (swap meets for some), secondhand stores, et cetera.  Now, new, on the other hand, I would bet that subtitles most certainly would be included.  And as for past discussions, I apologize for my somewhat feeble memory--part & parcel of having alot of irons in the fire, as they say.

03-2-2017 13:25:06  #6

OhI wasn't having a dig at you for forgetting - I thought I was agreeing! It was a nice thread, the Populaire one, and I think I do remember you saying about the subtitles. A shame. The film is only a few years old. 

But if you have a DVD of it, can I just ask a question? A French DVD would be Region 2 - so it wouldn't work in the US. The only one that would even work in the US would be a Region 1 (or a universal one) - therefore, by definition, it must be accessible to English-language speakers. Are you sure there isn't some subtitles feature in the menu that you've missed? Often they aren't automatic, you have to actively choose them (eg if you have a choice of languages etc)...

03-2-2017 14:26:09  #7

Kat, you're absolutley right about the DVD classifications and it's very safe to assume that if you bought a copy of the film in North America that it would have subtitles. On the other hand, DVDs are an almost dead medium. More and more people are streaming films instead of buying a hard copy of them, and that's when the issue of subtitles can become more complex. I watched Populaire on Netflix Canada, which meant by default it had English subtitles, but I could have streamed it from other online sources and that would have not been a guarantee. 

On a side note, I have hacked a couple of DVD players so that they will play DVDs from any region, but anyone who goes through the trouble of doing this will fully appreciate your point concerning regional content and be fully aware of such pitfalls.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-2-2017 17:22:43  #8

KatLondon wrote:

OhI wasn't having a dig at you for forgetting - I thought I was agreeing! It was a nice thread, the Populaire one, and I think I do remember you saying about the subtitles. A shame. The film is only a few years old. 

But if you have a DVD of it, can I just ask a question? A French DVD would be Region 2 - so it wouldn't work in the US. The only one that would even work in the US would be a Region 1 (or a universal one) - therefore, by definition, it must be accessible to English-language speakers. Are you sure there isn't some subtitles feature in the menu that you've missed? Often they aren't automatic, you have to actively choose them (eg if you have a choice of languages etc)...

Most or all the DVDs I've seen sold new in this country have beem multiple languages--French and Spanish mostly because Mexico and Canada border us.  I have seen subtitles offered in this languages, even on English-origin movies.  But, what I was thinking, was that if one looked at stuff from secondhand outlets is that you could find most anything--including Region 2 movies not intended for sale in the US.  You can find just about anything in a flea market.  I used to get most or all my typewriters there for a long time--until they started to get--well-Populaire.

03-2-2017 17:27:23  #9

Uwe wrote:

Kat, you're absolutley right about the DVD classifications and it's very safe to assume that if you bought a copy of the film in North America that it would have subtitles. On the other hand, DVDs are an almost dead medium. More and more people are streaming films instead of buying a hard copy of them, and that's when the issue of subtitles can become more complex. I watched Populaire on Netflix Canada, which meant by default it had English subtitles, but I could have streamed it from other online sources and that would have not been a guarantee. 

On a side note, I have hacked a couple of DVD players so that they will play DVDs from any region, but anyone who goes through the trouble of doing this will fully appreciate your point concerning regional content and be fully aware of such pitfalls.

Well now.  There was something you and KatLondon educated me on--Regions.  I was of the mind that any DVD would work on any player.  I didn't know.  It does make sense though.  But, as I said, you can find anything in a flea market--including DVDs from other reagions, which probably wouldn't play in a Region 1 player.  Thanks for the updates! 

03-2-2017 18:27:11  #10

KatLondon wrote:

Oh, I almost forgot.  I don't have a DVD of this movie myself, but I Googled it and found it on Youtube--without subtitles.  I watched it in spurts.  The typewriters fascinated me--especially the pink Japy the heroine of the story was using, and the dolled-up Underwood 150 her finalist competitor was using. 

Board footera