You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-10-2013 20:18:25  #1

Fun find: type without the writer

This isn't exactly a typewriter, but it's addictively fun to play with. I acquired about 120 pounds of antique letterpress type at an auction last night. Here are some of my 'a's, in uncleaned condition.
     The perfect excuse to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner, which I can then use for typewriter parts as well.

24-10-2013 04:20:21  #2

Re: Fun find: type without the writer

Neat! Are you planning on creating some kind of frames that'd allow you to press texts with these?

24-10-2013 04:53:18  #3

Wow - what a find, and a great picture.  What are your plans for these?

Sincerely,
beak.

24-10-2013 07:59:53  #4

I'm going to spend an intimidating amount of time sorting out the fonts. They're all thrown into boxes together. Then I'm going to clean at least some of them. I was looking into getting a letterpress a few years ago, then got distracted by life. Maybe I'll look into it again now that I've got so much type. It would be cool to make my own business cards, letterheads, etc. I don't think I'll be typesetting an entire book, it would drive me insane.

24-10-2013 22:29:33  #5

My sister's father-in-law (not sure what relation he would be to me) was a typesetter and used to love telling me about his trade. I have to admit that I was quite impressed with it all. Imagine laying out an entire publication with reversed letters backwards. I wouldn't want to do it.

Typesetting letters seem to be fairly popular right now for display pieces. I noticed lots of vendors selling individual letters at the one antique market I went to this past summer.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera