You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-2-2017 10:10:30  #1

Underwood Standard No3: Carriage not moving as I type

Hello everyone,
I have an Underwood Standard No3 - 1921 - serial number 3849394-12 - 12" carriage.

The carriage does not move along as I type but can be moved back and forth manually using the levers.
The ribbon also does not advance as I type but can be wound back and forth using the winding handle at the side.
Does anyone have any ideas what vital part has become disconnected to cause this?

It may or may not be relevant but I have found that the left hand side of the carriage does have some play in it and can be wobbled by hand as if something it not seated correctly. The right hand side is fine.
I also find that the rod that is connected to the crossbar is loose - its as if its slightly too short and does not locating into its end holes far enough - so easily falls out when pivoted. Its as if something is missing from the end? 

If anyone can help with ideas for what to try next I'd be really grateful
Many thanks,
Nicola

Last edited by Uwe (03-2-2017 14:32:29)

03-2-2017 13:25:33  #2

Re: Underwood Standard No3: Carriage not moving as I type

Hi and welcome! I presume this typewriter is new to you? It sounds as though it's in generally not great condition (your pictures won't open, no doubt because you need three postings in order to be able to attach pictures).

I am not really familiar at all with the old Underwoods, but there are some general things you can check. I wonder whether the ribbon advance mechanism is just in need of cleaning -- on some machines, the ribbon mechanism is coupled to the carriage's movement, but I don't think that is the case with the Underwoods. As for the carriage not advancing, the first thing I would check is whether the machine's mainspring has become detensioned, or simply is broken. Or perhaps the strap that connects the spring to the carriage (and pulls the carriage from right to left) has become detached, or is missing entirely.

Others here with more knowledge will jump in, I am sure.

04-2-2017 06:04:27  #3

Thanks - hopefully three replies to thread will allow me to post photos. Pretty crucial

04-2-2017 06:07:24  #4

Thanks - hopefully three replies to thread will allow me to post photos. Pretty crucial

Here's a link to my photos
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwmrHl56AGVZdHRTMHRaMFFFQUU

04-2-2017 06:11:12  #5

The typewriter is nice and clean as I have had it apart. And the main spring that pulls the carriage back is working ok and the strap is in place. Hopefully the photos will reveal what might be wrong :-)

04-2-2017 06:47:12  #6

If you pull the carriage gently to the left and type with the other hand does it advance correctly?  If it does then it is some problem with the mainspring and strap - maybe in place but not tensioned - and if it does not then there is some issue with the complex chain of events involving the escapement which releases the carriage to move over one space with each keystroke. You hope it's the former.

I would not conclude the ribbon advance was not working until I got the carriage movement working - ribbon advance depends on carriage movement.  As for "the rod" typewriters are full of them so I might have said "a" rod vs. "the" rod.   Not sure what the one you picture is connected to but I notice a number of collars with set screws so it's possible one is out of the position which otherwise would have limited the rod's side to side movement.

I was able to open your photos externally and good photos, and yes, the typewriter is very clean and good looking!

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

04-2-2017 07:03:20  #7

Zooming in on your third photo we can see the strap hanging slack from the drum, so I think one problem is identified! That knurled knob may allow adjusting the tension.

04-2-2017 16:16:29  #8

Thanks Repartee - I have retensioned the main spring and checked the position of the strap and I can feel the carriage is under tension now as I move the carriage back and forth. I dont think I realised how much more tension I could get from the spring so hopefully thats helped things. However, even though the spring tension is better when I push the carriage to the left as I type with the other hand I'm still getting no movement. So I fear it is something inside linking the escapement to the carriage. 

Try as I might I can't see how its supposed to work and suspect I have something missing. When I pressed the space bar I can the rods connected to it move but do not come in contact with anything. I have taken a photo of the rods I'm referring to (marked in red).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwmrHl56AGVZanRidjVXOWgzX1U

Also, there is still the issue of the 'loose rod'. I have taken some more photos indicating where its positioned. I've also removed it so you can see what its connected to. What does this do and why does it come loose? The collars do not seem enough to hold it in place.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwmrHl56AGVZUnZ4anM0dHU4VHc

Sorry its a lots here! But thought I'd include it all in case you can spot anything wrong :-)
Nicola

04-2-2017 16:46:01  #9

Nicola, my knowledge is not vast but I usually manage to stay inside its narrow boundaries (that's why they let me play with expensive computers at work  ).  I would say that I would be concerned if I had a part that large detached and I was not quite sure how to attach it!  You say you've had the thing "apart"?    It does seem probable some connection between the keys and the escapement is not doing its bit anymore.  

While waiting for some more knowledgeable member to step in what I will do is drag out my Underwood 5 (functional) and my number 3 (somewhat) and see if I can correlate what I see to your photos and to normal operation.  Your photos are by the way excellent with their clear red-lining, but you know that. Neat.  

04-2-2017 17:26:56  #10

From what I see, it looks like either you don't have the ribbon mechanism advancing the ribbon without that part, or else you have no way of releasing the shift lock without it.  As for the space bar lever in the back, it may need to be adjusted in order to contact that part.  I have repaired lots of Underwoods, and I will check one of mine out to see just what these parts exactly do, and, if my suspicions are correct, that loose one has an adjustment to make it fit more tightly within its area.  I'll report back tomorrow.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera