You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-2-2017 13:03:35  #1

Platen Work

For starters, I live in Oregon, USA.  A while back I had a platen on a Remington 17 re-covered.  I was told it was the last platen to be done as Ames closed it's doors soon after.
Fast forward a few years, now there's a 1938 Royal KHM that needs new rubber on it's platen.  Surfing the Web, I came across a Robert DeBarth in Pennsylvania.  I gave him a call, and after a lengthy talk, I sent him the Royal's platen.  The material is on back order so there will be some time before I get it back.

Mr. DeBarth seemed to me to posses a wealth of knowledge and skill.  Has anyone heard of or used him?

10-2-2017 13:53:35  #2

Re: Platen Work

I have not heard of him.  However, I sent my platens to J.J.Short and associates who are doing platen resurfacing on a regular basis.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

10-2-2017 15:52:24  #3

I have heard of him somewhere, and I don't recall anything negative. You should be fine.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

10-2-2017 16:14:07  #4

I've definitely heard of Earl De Barth and would feel quite safe dealing with him. For those not familiar with his services and parts supply, here's his website.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-2-2017 18:50:48  #5

That's my take from the conversation.  He has the factory specification books, the tooling, (bought a lot of the Ame's fixtures and tools), and definite knowledge of how various typewriters went together.  Just the platens alone, I did not realize the many differences through the years; plus he has the machining to grind the rubber to specification.  Having worked as a millwright with work in a kraft paper mill, that speaks volumes to me.  I'm sure glad I found him. 

Ironically, his shop is just an hour and half drive from where I grew up.

Board footera