You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-2-2017 09:29:59  #1

Typewriter shelving

We are going to be building a new home office in just over a month. My son will get my old office as his bedroom. My wife expects me to keep this office in a neat and tidy condition. This means I should be able to convince her of the need for more shelving to store stuff, typewriters. I'll probably be getting something from ikea as buying from a shelving company or getting something custom made over here is all but impossible.

So I wanted to ask what type of shelving do others use? Is it possible to get shelving from somewhere like ikea that is sturdy enough to store standards? After all, a Royal 10 with an 18 inch platen is not light and neither are most other standards

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

14-2-2017 13:10:07  #2

Re: Typewriter shelving

I am not sure what is available where you live, but these are what I use:

This will hold 4 portables per shelf, or 3 regular (non-wide) standards per shelf. The top shelf is rather high, so it is difficult to see the machines if you use the top shelf. For industrial shelving, it does not look that bad:

This will hold 4 portables in the glass cases, and either 2-3 portables or 2 standards on the top. I should note, that depending on the lighting in the room, it may be hard to see the typewriters in the glass cases.

Last edited by Uwe (14-2-2017 17:11:35)

14-2-2017 17:54:28  #3

The big question is: How many machines are involved? I think it's difficult to suggest storage solutions when you don't know if it's 4 or 40 machines that need to be neatly shelved. Of the two solutions that SoucekFan provided, the second one would bankrupt me, which is why I use metal industrial shelving and fit up to 50 machines per section (below), but of course I wouldn't use that in a home office, which is where I only have a handful of machines on display.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-2-2017 18:39:52  #4

Uwe wrote:

The big question is: How many machines are involved? I think it's difficult to suggest storage solutions when you don't know if it's 4 or 40 machines that need to be neatly shelved. Of the two solutions that SoucekFan provided, the second one would bankrupt me, which is why I use metal industrial shelving and fit up to 50 machines per section (below), but of course I wouldn't use that in a home office, which is where I only have a handful of machines on display.

I agree, and I should have also specified that my numbers for how many fit on my industrial-style storage were estimates for side-by-side display; it will fit more portables when it is stacked like you have shown. I also use a combination of other furniture, as well. Here are photos of what my two examples look like in use:

15-2-2017 01:23:07  #5

Very nice!  But only two standards?!? 

I'll be moving my home office some time this year to a bigger room in the house and I plan to custom make a full wall of shelves out of 1 inch black pipe and distressed wood. I think the hardest part of that will be deciding which machines should be on display.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-2-2017 02:16:52  #6

Uwe wrote:

Very nice!  But only two standards?!? 

I'll be moving my home office some time this year to a bigger room in the house and I plan to custom make a full wall of shelves out of 1 inch black pipe and distressed wood. I think the hardest part of that will be deciding which machines should be on display.

Thanks. The other standards, are elsewhere in the room on other furniture, a bunch in the basement on the same style industrial shelf, and one one a desk upstairs in another room. They just weren't in the pictures.

Your solution sounds great. If I was handier, I would have liked to have tried something like that.

15-2-2017 10:23:51  #7

One of the other members here, Spazmelda, uses Kallax shelving from Ikea for storing her typewriters.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

15-2-2017 14:56:44  #8

Here's the link to the post that colrehogan referred to: http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=6482#p6482

And a couple of other posts from previous threads that might be of interest in terms of storage/display ideas:
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1792#p1792
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=389#p389

25-8-2020 20:38:21  #9

Concerning the post above on 14-2-2017, what is the model of the blue typewriter next to the burgundy Corona Sterling in the picture?  It's a really nice looking typewriter!

25-8-2020 22:26:32  #10

Flyer wrote:

Concerning the post above on 14-2-2017, what is the model of the blue typewriter next to the burgundy Corona Sterling in the picture?  It's a really nice looking typewriter!

Thanks. It is a 1929 Royal model P.  Royal called that color style "Crinoline Blue."

Board footera