You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-3-2017 21:04:15  #1

LC Smith 8 stiff carriage

Yesterday I got 1935 LC Smith #8 with an 18 inch carriage (it's absolutely massive). It types fine, and just needs some cleaning. But the carriage seems strangely stiff, which is one of the first things that I noticed about it. I did clean the bearing rails and greased them again to reduce friction. But it still has trouble returning to the right when I return the carriage, and when carriage release is engaged, it makes this awful screeching/grinding sound.

​Is there something wrong with it? Or does it just need a further cleaning? I really do not want to take off the carriage, for ball bearings and I are not the best of friends. The ghost of the '32 LC Smith that I butchered over two years ago still haunts me to this day, so I want to take extra caution when dealing with this typewriter. thanks

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

27-3-2017 11:44:58  #2

Re: LC Smith 8 stiff carriage

Awful screeching is not good, something is dry or in a bind or both.  "If" you're handy with tools, check out the maintenance PDF's at Richard Polt's website.  They're called "Ames Training Manuals" and are factory reprints for basic maintenance and tear down/ assembly.  Some machines have a definite order to carriage adjustment.  I learned this on my Royal HH.  I could be the spring motor the drawband is connected to is in need of lubrication.  Whatever is done, NEVER force a part or function.

Grease is on these typers, in my experience, is also NEVER used.  It attracts dirt and dust and you end up with a kind of lapping compound that just wears stuff out faster than if they were left alone. ( Lapping compound is what rock hounds use to polish rocks, or machinists and mechanics use to "wear" parts together for fit and tolerance.)  Light oil sparingly used on only certain places is all these typers need.

If there are any doubts in your mind on what to do or how, it's time for the respected typewriter shop. Everything is a system of function in these machines. Once out of order, something else can go wrong.

29-3-2017 11:41:55  #3

Re: LC Smith 8 stiff carriage

You may need to adjust the top bearing rail.
There are little setscrews on the top of the mounts, the can cause the binding if not set right.
I have basically the same machine and I took mine apart to remove all the rust so I am very familiar with it.

My blog - Just Typewriters

Board footera