You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-11-2017 17:37:21  #111

Re: Possible Acquistions Thread

Uwe wrote:

More Recent than Possible Acquisitions then...

Aha! But not if they arrive as crushed tin & loose springs, no.

The uncertainty inherent in dealing with flaky Ebay sellers is precisely why both these, and the Royal Junior which preceded them (and which, as yet, has also not arrived) appear here, rather than in 'recent acquisitions'. They may yet  be no more than a 'failed purchase' - and the difference is not merely semantic.

05-11-2017 19:37:51  #112

Advice sought on this one. I understand they're well regarded, but it's a manufacturer I have very little 'market intel' to go on - does £30 ($40) seem reasonable?

Consul 15xx
[img]Consul by Frank Judge, on Flickr[/img]

05-11-2017 20:41:29  #113

Seems quite reasonable. And gorgeous--even if it is not of my era of primary interest! 

05-11-2017 21:19:17  #114

Thanks Mark, I'm glad you think so - particularly as I pulled the trigger within all of five minutes from posting. It is a pretty thing, isn't it? First one I've seen in the UK, too - it's usually the Olympia-esque Consul types you see here.

I don't have a clearly defined era of interest as yet, although I do have a particular fondness for the later  Olympia models. I suppose it'll work itself out in the end, but for now, I'm just buying whatever floats my boat. Do find myself hankering for a Royal De Luxe / Quiet De Luxe, mind... There aren't too many of those over here, either.

06-11-2017 07:01:01  #115

Would that you could find your way to my neck of the woods for a week or so -- you would find no shortage of Royal Quiet De Luxes. Meanwhile, I've never seen a Consul around here.

06-11-2017 09:33:52  #116

Fleetwing wrote:

Would that you could find your way to my neck of the woods for a week or so -- you would find no shortage of Royal Quiet De Luxes. Meanwhile, I've never seen a Consul around here.

I'm sure I would, FW - I'm often looking whistfully at US Ebay listings.

There was a lovely looking restored De Luxe here last week, which went for £106. There were only two bidders until the very end, my own (pre set) high bid being £75 - if I hadn't been out getting the Blue Bird, I'm sure I would have been happy bidding a little more than it finally went for...

10-11-2017 16:56:09  #117

I continue to be drawn to standard machines -- partly because they're unloved by comparison with portables and so the prices are comparatively low. Somebody semi-locally (i.e. within an hour's drive) has a Smith-Corona Secretarial 76 available. As I understand it, this is the very last manual standard machine made by SMC, circa 1970, so I'm curious to check it out. Has anyone used one of these? I wouldn't call it particularly handsome -- it's reminiscent of the SG3 in that it's curvy but with sharp edges. I doubt it's as good as the Olympia, but it can't be bad. Oh, the guy wants $25 for it.

10-11-2017 19:08:40  #118

I have a Model 62, 72, and I think a 75 (I haven't catalogued all of my Smith-Corona standards), but I'm not familiar with a Model 76. Do you have a link to the one that's for sale? I'm curious to see what it looks like. With respect to the Secretarial models that I own, they're average typewriters at best. Competent to be sure, but I've never found anything about them to be exceptional, or even memorable for that matter. Still, in working condition they're easily worth $25.

The one strange thing I've noted about them is that I've never come across a '50s or newer Smith-Corona standard in my area that was in decent aesthetic shape. For some reason all the ones I've found (and bought) are all well worn, and sometimes well-beaten in appearance.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-11-2017 08:55:31  #119

Here's a picture of one (and writeup) from the Davis site: http://davistypewriters.blogspot.com/2010/08/last-smith-corona-standard.html

The one I'm looking at has some wear on the front badge area (based on the pictures I was sent).

11-11-2017 17:23:27  #120

Were it me, I'd snap it up without hesitation because I don't have one (and don't recall having ever come across one in person yet). It also has a no-risk price, and although it won't match the performance of an SG, I'm sure that it won't disappoint.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera