You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-7-2017 16:01:46  #51

Re: Possible Acquistions Thread

I've seen an Olympia SG-3 on the local Craigslist cor $25.  Can't really see if anything is wro g with if.  Looks like it might be ok.  Is there anybadvantage of an SG-3 over an SG-1?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

19-7-2017 16:14:03  #52

Buy it, assuming all is working. Mine is a lovely, smooth machine to use. (All depends on how well it's been taken care of, of course.)

Does it have the paper injector? Mine (1968) does not, but that's fine. I think that was a more common feature with the SG1, but don't let the lack of it (or lack of a paper support, which is often missing) stop you, certainly not for $25. I am not sure whether the SG3 was available with the d o u b l e  s p a c i n g feature, but if it doesn't have that, I wouldn't turn it down.

I know Olympias often had special keys, but I think the SG3 may have had some as a standard feature: "th" (as in 10th) ; fraction (1/); degree symbol; insertion arrow (like ^ only it prints at the bottom of a line). You maybe don't need these, but they're cool.

19-7-2017 16:37:21  #53

In addition, check if it's a German unit or a Mexican one. I've tried both, and German ones are better.

Anyway, for $25 a working SG3 is a great deal. Few typewriters offer such quality, and in addition they can be inexpensive just like the Olivetti Linea 98.

Regarding the paper injector, I agree with Fleetwing. Mine doesn't have it either, but the Mexican SG3 I tried did have it, and I'd choose a German unit without paper injector instead of a Mexican one with it. Conclussion: it' a cool feature but not decissive (at least for me).

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

19-7-2017 17:21:34  #54

colrehogan wrote:

Is there any advantage of an SG-3 over an SG-1?

​No. On the other hand the SG1 does have features that the SG3 doesn't. Regardless, I would never pass on a SG3 for $25, which is probably why I have so many of them. 

Fleetwing wrote:

I am not sure whether the SG3 was available with the d o u b l e  s p a c i n g feature...

​Yes, it was included on the SG3S model.

Javi wrote:

... I'd choose a German unit without paper injector instead of a Mexican one with it. Conclussion: it' a cool feature but not decissive (at least for me).

​I have both German and Mexican models and never noticed a significant difference between them in terms of performance, but I'll have to put two side-by-side some day soon and conduct a more thorough comparison. In your scenario I would opt for the Mexican model with the paper injector, which is good as we would each get what we would prefer. I put a lot of value on the paper injector, especially when typing twenty to thirty pages a day.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-7-2017 21:36:33  #55

Oops.  $35, not $25.  Yes, it does have the paper injector, which my SG-1 does not.  I tried to look at the keys in the picture, but couldn't see anything special.  There might be a double spacing key, but it's hard to tell.  Maybe you guys can.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/d/olympia-typewriter/6186381706.html

19-7-2017 22:14:25  #56

How would you know a German one vs. a Mexican one?

20-7-2017 06:00:27  #57

Yes, it does have the double spacing key -- top row, on the right. $35 is still a good deal.

20-7-2017 06:35:51  #58

Uwe and Beak,
thank you both for your help. I appreciate it!

20-7-2017 09:41:21  #59

colrehogan wrote:

How would you know a German one vs. a Mexican one?

There are components that differentiate them, but the easiest way in either case is that there is a "Made in ..." badge on the machine; on the back if it's from Wilhelmshaven, or usually on the right side for the Mexicans. The one in the listing was made in Germany.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-8-2017 12:14:10  #60

Anyone in the Indianapolis area interested in a few hundred typewriters?
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/d/300-antique-and-vintage/6225230895.html 

Board footera