You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-5-2015 10:32:30  #11

Re: Dealer Stickers

Thank you for your thoughts - I will continue to collect advice. I won't be unhappy if the sticker is damaged or destroyed in removal,  but I owe it to the typewriter to make an honest effort to preserve this part of its history.

18-5-2015 12:31:18  #12

Fwiw, I think the decision to keep or not keep can be weighed up against the value of the original decision to slap a great big eyesore right on the front centre of the machine! Here's a Hermes 3000 which has been relisted on eBay.co.uk a few times now - it's still overpriced, but it was originally on a £125 buy it now, and the one that was also on at the same time and price has sold (though also had a more intresting keyboard). The sticker is the problem... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hermes-3000-portable-Swiss-Sea-Foam-Green-Typewriter-working-/201350671718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ee16f6d66 

Uwe, we never did get to see your sticker-free Erika! Did it work all right and not wrieck the paint? 

18-5-2015 12:43:24  #13

Kat - that Hermes 3000's sticker is such an eyesore.

I decided to go ahead and try my luck with my Olympia's sticker.  I used a hair dryer to warm and loosen the adhesive. I very slowly peeled up the sticker with just my fingernails as I warmed it with the hair dryer. The foil sticker came up slowly, but completely intact.  I cleaned up the adhesive residue with Goo Gone.  I plan to laminate the dealer sticker and attach it with a ribbon to the typewriter.

The paint under the sticker wasn't faded at all. It looks like the sticker had never been there:

18-5-2015 12:51:06  #14

That looks so much nicer!

18-5-2015 12:53:40  #15

Oh yes, much better !  Those circa 1967 SG3's had a properly enamelled finish - much better than paint !  Maybe the best place for the sticker would be on the back of the machine, above the manufacturer's plate.  This is where I would hope any self-respecting dealer would have put it in the first place !

18-5-2015 15:13:58  #16

Yep, the sticker on that 3000 is awful!
Mech - well done getting the sticker off, it looks really great now.
You know, I saw recently an Invicta which had been defaced with a metal dealer nameplate screwed right over the Invicta name badge on the right-hand front panel. Absolutely ghastly! Even if you took it off, you'd have the screw-holes to deal with. Even so, I think it sold quite fast!

18-5-2015 16:10:59  #17

I was lucky that I only had adhesive to deal with and not a screwed-on dealer plate. I was also lucky that the Olympia has the rock-hard enamelled finish that thetypewriterman mentioned.  I would have been a lot more nervous with an old, frail, painted surface.

I ended up laminating the dealer sticker that I removed since it came off in one piece.  I made a little tag of it that I will keep with the Olympia.

19-5-2015 02:56:36  #18

That looks so beautiful! & I'm envious. I love my SG3 but it's a much later one with black keys. I love that swoop at the front. 

19-5-2015 14:39:23  #19

I've really fallen for this SG3 with its curves and little aqua accents - I guess this means I can join the SG Owners Club

05-10-2015 19:57:18  #20

I have a 1938 Remington with this delightfully gaudy sticker--it's as big as my thumb!

Board footera