You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-7-2017 07:05:19  #21

Re: On the subject of platen rubber

Hi, All.  I accidentally discovered a virtual panacea for what was a whitish, hard platen on my latest purchase.  I accidentally got some WD-40 on the platen, wiped it off, and it looked gorgeous.  Unlike Armor All, which treats the surface, WD-40 penetrates, softens, cleans, and leaves the old, hard platen soft and, as mentioned, "grippy." Moreover, WD-40 doesn't leave a slick or greasy residue.  Wiping the excess off the rubber is hard work but the result is worth the effort.  I highly recommend the technique for rubber restoration.  Forgive me if you all already know about this trick.
Jeffrey

05-7-2017 10:42:15  #22

Welcome to the forum, Jeffrey.

​Can I ask how you determined the platen was actually softer after applying WD-40 to it?

The traditional (recommended) method is to wipe the platen down with alcohol, or better yet, use a specifically engineered product for the task such as a rubber rejuvenator to remove some of the glazing that causes paper slippage and to clean and soften the platen's surface. I have actually tested the effect that rubber rejuvenator has on numerous platens by using a durometer and noted varying results.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-7-2017 11:25:24  #23

Uwe, would you post a picture of your durometer?  I've been interested in one for years, just haven't coughed up the coin.

05-7-2017 13:19:58  #24

They're not expensive (around $30). It looks like an air pressure gauge with a pin sticking out of the bottom of it. You do have to make sure that you order one that covers the correct Shore hardness range (Type A). The one I got is an analogue version but there are digital ones too. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-7-2017 05:28:57  #25

Dear Uwe,
Thank you for welcoming me.  To determine that the platen was softer, I applied the three-step test I found at Typewriter Talk.  I also noted that the typewriter stopped eating ribbons; it was punching holes in them after 10 days or so.
Jeffrey

07-3-2024 07:58:39  #26

snodgrjl wrote:

...I accidentally got some WD-40 on the platen, wiped it off, and it looked gorgeous.  Unlike Armor All, which treats the surface, WD-40 penetrates, softens, cleans, and leaves the old, hard platen soft and, as mentioned, "grippy." Moreover, WD-40 doesn't leave a slick or greasy residue...

Hello (sorry for reviving an old topic )...
What do you think of WD-40 to rejuvenate thes machine roller/platen ?
Has anyone tested this ?
And theoretically, is this a good idea ?
THANKS

Note : I don't want to use rubber rejuvenator, I'm asking about WD-40 because I have some at my disposal...

Board footera