You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-3-2016 16:56:03  #11

Re: Old, rusty Underwood

I have rescinded my request to close out my membership, and I hope I can still stay a member.  I was greeted rather warmly by several members, and my many thanks to them.  However, I will be more careful in the future.  If I do see an interesting problem, bearing in mind that it may have been posted a while back, I still may comment on it as to what I might do to repair the problem--especially if I have a shortcut or an interesting story behind what happened when I had that same problem.  I will look forward to reading all I can here, contributing my bit, and whenever I get the wherewithal, contribute some pictures of my "babies."

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

16-3-2016 17:36:47  #12

In my opinion, that should not be a problem.  There have been many times I have googled to try to solve a problem I'm having and a thread from the typewriter talk forum comes up.  It sort of acts as a database of typewriter problem solving.  Maybe just jump in and say, "hey, I know this thread is old, but..."

30-7-2016 20:55:27  #13

Just to contribute to an (admittedly old) thread: I just picked up a similar Underwood "46" today--an "Underwood Semitic" Hebrew model with 46 keys (hence, the "46," I'd assume). I'll post pics on the acquisitions thread when I get them up. The serial number in the picture above is not a "467" on the right hand side, but a "46T." (Mine is 1605158 ... 46T.) 

My guess is that the Underwood "46" was the catch-all for all non-standard language and keyboard arrangements. 

30-7-2016 22:23:43  #14

Just a couple of quick questions:  Is this one of the carriage shifts or one of the basket shifts (they had both in 1946, and judging by the numbers I'm seeing, I'm guessing yours is a '46 machine)?  The other question is does the carriage space from right to left instead of left to right?  I saw an IBM equipped with a Hebrew keyboard and the carriage travel was the opposite of, say, an English typewriter.

30-7-2016 22:34:18  #15

And, while we're on the thread called "Old, rusty Underwood," might I put in my two cents once again and say that all Underwood typewriters by now can be considered as "old."  Now, Olivetti, who bought Underwood outright in 1963, used the name on some of their machines.  The serial databases I've seen put the last date Underwoods themselves were made at 1968 (consequently, the year I was born).  But I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around that, because, at least as far as I have seen, Underwood's last true Underwood machine was produced in 1963 with their Touch-Master and Type-Master (which is a little more Olivetti-like) series machines. The latest I have seen an upright electric were the Underwood 700 and 702 series machines made sometime in the late 1960s, but, again, these were more Olivetti-like.  And then there was the Olivetti-Underwood Praxis 48 (an absolute total nightmare of a typewriter to have to fix, as was the Editor 5 and the Lexikon 92C, all of which give me bad dreams and heartburn, but these are all Olivetti machines outright).

31-7-2016 12:11:34  #16

TypewriterKing wrote:

Is this one of the carriage shifts or one of the basket shifts (they had both in 1946, and judging by the numbers I'm seeing, I'm guessing yours is a '46 machine)?

The '46' is a model designator, not the year of manufacture. The OP's and Markmotown's machines were both manufactured in 1922 according to their serial numbers.

Markmotown wrote:

My guess is that the Underwood "46" was the catch-all for all non-standard language and keyboard arrangements. 

Given that we now have examples that include Danish and Hebrew keyboards I would agree with your guess. To identify the machine with a corresponding regular model number you would have to compare its features to those that I presented in post #2 of this thread.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-8-2016 07:39:35  #17

For my Underwood "Semitic," yes the carriage does space from right to left, so many of the carriage mechanisms had to be built essentially backwards. Fortunately, I recently got a standard Underwood 5, and when I get to my office today, I want to take some pictures side by side to compare the two. 

As for the "46" designation, I've done some internet sleuthing and found some others. This one is in [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwood_Typewriter_Company#/media/File:Հայերեն_գրամեքենա.JPG]Armenian[/url] (and despite the angle, you can barely see the 46 in the lower left): 

There's this Swedish "46," with unusual frontal carter (want). Here's another with the frontal carter.

There's this one with Russian writing circa WWI (since it has "Petrograd" on it), but it has a keyboard for Finnish. And this "46" that's actually Russian/Cyrillic, housed at the US Holocaust Memorial Museum.

Board footera