You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-7-2017 12:57:30  #21

Re: Absolute quietest typewriter…

schyllerwade wrote:

The continental silenta...I may have to go look at that machine again after all. I hadn't been back since we discussed everything, but only because it was a shop closing down and the hours were irregular.
Remind me, is the silenta a thrust action?

No, it isn´t. It may look like one if you take out the cover (as several noiseless typewriters do), but it´s a "normal" one. Now that you mention it, thrust action machines maybe are a little quieter because they strike the platen with a bit less force, or at least it´s what I get from my Adlers.

As for the mentioned Olympia SM9... Well, it´s a great one as well (one of the best of its time), but here comes the question: Which ones are better? The earlier or the later ones?

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

14-7-2017 13:33:46  #22

Javi wrote:

... Olympia SM9 ... it´s a great one as well (one of the best of its time), but here comes the question: Which ones are better? The earlier or the later ones? 

​Do you mean earlier or later SM9s, or earlier or later SM models?

​The entire SM range was impressive, especially their build, but I have to admit that I'm surprised that they would be mentioned in a thread of "absolute quietest" typewriters because they've always sounded as loud to me as most other portables. I'm curious now and will have to compare a few to see for my self if they're actually less noisy.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-7-2017 14:27:03  #23

I had raised the SMs simply in the context of their quietness in returning the carriage, not because of inherent quietness during typing.

14-7-2017 15:01:08  #24

I glanced through the thread again quickly and I think this is where it was picked up, and what I was referring to.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-7-2017 18:48:32  #25

Hmmm... my Super Ghia models are fairly quiet typers, but their carriage returns make a growl that sounds like a sportscar revving up.

My old tuxedo styled Smith Corona Silent is probably my quietest (the later tan model is definitely noisier) followed by my Hermes 3000 (although that one squeaks a bit at times)

15-7-2017 03:09:16  #26

Uwe wrote:

Javi wrote:

... Olympia SM9 ... it´s a great one as well (one of the best of its time), but here comes the question: Which ones are better? The earlier or the later ones? 

​Do you mean earlier or later SM9s, or earlier or later SM models?

I was referring to SM9s only. They changed a lot on the outside, but I´m not sure how deep these changes went. This comes just out of curiosity and maybe this is not the thread to ask it, so should I start a new one with that?

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

15-7-2017 09:57:09  #27

im curious...What years are considered 'earlier' and which 'later' regarding the SM models? Mine is a 67 or 68...it has gray keys but some of the other functions seemed to correspond to different years

Not 100% on topic for this thread but...ehhhhhhhh

15-7-2017 11:32:57  #28

I think of the "early" SM9s as being the ones with the script Olympia logo and having green accents. The later models (later '60s) have the orange circle logo and OLYMPIA in caps. Keys on the older models are typically offwhite, while the later models have black keys. I think some versions, especially of the newer models, have gray keys.

15-7-2017 16:15:46  #29

Yes, better suited for a dedicated thread in the Portables sub-forum. There might be an existing thread too, because I seem to recall beak (or someone else) starting a thread about SM9 variants.

15-7-2017 20:13:57  #30

Yes, I definitely recall contributing to that thread.

Board footera