You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-7-2017 15:46:12  #11

Re: Ultra-portables

Tapete...placemat? Lol
Just a guess..

24-7-2017 15:49:11  #12

I am also picking up a kolibri this evening (looking at, more like it), will report back if I purchase/after I use.
I am quite optimistic however.

24-7-2017 19:48:28  #13

Javi wrote:

Little table cover? Sorry, right now my brain has decided to forget the English word for "tapete".

No worries. Your English is excellent. I would also guess place mat.

Thanks for all the advice! I have an unfair prejudice against Brother. I had an old electric model that was... unreliable. I think those are all good suggestions.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

24-7-2017 19:49:31  #14

schyllerwade wrote:

I am also picking up a kolibri this evening (looking at, more like it), will report back if I purchase/after I use.
I am quite optimistic however.

Yes, if you get it, please give me your thoughts.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

24-7-2017 20:25:37  #15

Absolutely. I'm gotta say I'm a little surprised u don't like any of the ultras designs...not hermes or SF? Love those! Lol 
you do like kolibri though? I mean, who doesn't...

24-7-2017 23:57:16  #16

I passed on it. I had never used one, but it felt...I don't know. I've heard others talk of typewriters that have the tendency to 'join' words. That's what was happening. It wouldn't space consistently when I was typing. I just didn't like the feel...I hope it was simply an example of a poorly maintained machine.

I actually have another on order from Germany, due here in couple weeks.
hopefully it is a better specimen. If not I'll be done with the kolibri obsession.

25-7-2017 12:54:12  #17

schyllerwade wrote:

Absolutely. I'm gotta say I'm a little surprised u don't like any of the ultras designs...not hermes or SF? Love those! Lol 
you do like kolibri though? I mean, who doesn't...

I'm not a huge fan of any of the ultraportable designs, just by their nature-- the profile is too narrow--but I don't particularly dislike most of them either, except for the Olympia SF. This is mostly for convenience when traveling.

26-7-2017 12:44:17  #18

schyllerwade wrote:

I passed on it. I had never used one, but it felt...I don't know. I've heard others talk of typewriters that have the tendency to 'join' words. That's what was happening. It wouldn't space consistently when I was typing. I just didn't like the feel...I hope it was simply an example of a poorly maintained machine.

That faulty opeartion could very well be a lack of maintenance. My Kolibri needed professional care to be at 100%. It had been dropped, the right knob was shattered, the paper arm missing (a common Kolibri disease) and basically everything out of place. But look at it now!

And the case is very nice as well. A complete package!

BTW, the word I was looking for was "mat", yes. That was a flat-out brain fade by me!

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

26-7-2017 14:17:23  #19

I've had a few ultraportables. The real small ones (Skyriters, Adler Tippa, etc) seem to all have their own little idiosyncrasies.

The Adler Tippa is extremely quiet, responsive, and beautiful to look at, but the spacebar has an atrocious feel to it. I even had the machine professionally overhauled, but apparently it is just the feel of that particular machine (spacebar just feels soft and slow).

My skyriters vary, depending on their condition. I prefer my TIppa.

I've got a couple of SC Ghia models which are very lightweight and look awesome, but you can tell they're plastic models... cause they feel too soft and light for heavy work. I save 'em for letters.

When I'm bicycling or walking to a coffeehouse to write, I will usually grab a Skyriter or my favorite Tower version. For letters, I will grab my Tippa (it's cursive). I'd use a regular Tippa over the others in my stable.  I'd love a Hermes Baby or Rocket... or the Olympia ultraportable.

Otherwise, I schlep a 1950's beige Smith Corona Silent in my car for daily writing away from home. In other words, if space or weight is at a premium, a good ultraportable is still awesome... but as a daily typer, I still prefer a mid-sized portable.

26-7-2017 14:33:15  #20

tricnomistal wrote:

I have an unfair prejudice against Brother. I had an old electric model that was... unreliable.

​ I have a number of Brother models and they are all quite good. In fact, I would easily recommend one for travelling because they can take a fair amount of punishment and they have a decent type action for their size. Best of all, they are readily available and inexpensive to buy, so if something does happen to the machine while you're out and about you won't shed a tear over it. Don't forget that it was these Brother portables that turned the entire typewriter industry on its ears. The company was churning out affordable, good quality typewriters, and when other companies tried to compete they spat out terrible products such as the Smith-Corona Corsair.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera