You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-7-2017 11:27:18  #11

Re: Typewriter Spotting

I would say that assuming it's a Royal Model O is a fairly safe bet even though it might possibly be a Speed King, so 10 points for Fleetwing. But I don't think that the plane has been correctly identified yet.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-7-2017 11:44:54  #12

I know nothing about planes, but I will guess: Short Sunderland.

27-7-2017 11:56:23  #13

Uwe wrote:

I would say that assuming it's a Royal Model O is a fairly safe bet even though it might possibly be a Speed King

It doesn't have the tabulator key, so it is not a Speed King.

27-7-2017 12:32:46  #14

Uwe wrote:

I would say that assuming it's a Royal Model O is a fairly safe bet even though it might possibly be a Speed King, so 10 points for Fleetwing. But I don't think that the plane has been correctly identified yet.

On second thought, the radio operator (or is he navigator?) is likely wearing an RAF cap -- USAAF officer caps would have the eagle logo on the front. I think I was initially fooled because I was under the impression that USAAF officers tended to wear their caps in the air, while RAF officer flight crews wore the (more practical) skull caps. (This might have been a posed shot on the ground, come to think of it.) He looks more like a UK guy though -- maybe it's the Errol Flynn mustache.

Short Sunderland -- that's a good guess, since the setup (including the typewriter) looks more like something a long distance scouting plane would have. But the Sunderlands were operated by the Fleet Air Arm, not the RAF I think. So I don't know whether the guy is kitted out in FAA garb or not. Also, would a British plane have a Royal, or an Imperial?

I think I'll go with a Lancaster or Halifax. Since Uwe posted it, maybe this is an RCAF plane?

27-7-2017 13:00:11  #15

Fleetwing wrote:

On second thought, the radio operator (or is he navigator?) is likely wearing an RAF cap -- USAAF officer caps would have the eagle logo on the front. I think I was initially fooled because I was under the impression that USAAF officers tended to wear their caps in the air, while RAF officer flight crews wore the (more practical) skull caps. (This might have been a posed shot on the ground, come to think of it.) He looks more like a UK guy though -- maybe it's the Errol Flynn mustache.

Short Sunderland -- that's a good guess, since the setup (including the typewriter) looks more like something a long distance scouting plane would have. But the Sunderlands were operated by the Fleet Air Arm, not the RAF I think. So I don't know whether the guy is kitted out in FAA garb or not. Also, would a British plane have a Royal, or an Imperial?

I think I'll go with a Lancaster or Halifax. Since Uwe posted it, maybe this is an RCAF plane?

Ha. I was following the much the same train of thought, and started with the cap (influenced by the mustache as well) and then tried to pick a WWII Royal Canadian Air Force plane that might have had been used for recon. My plane knowledge is based on whatever I learned online at 1am last night.

27-7-2017 16:32:30  #16

Fleetwing wrote:

​Ha! Now that's what I call working the nuances!

​To the best of my knowledge, it's an American plane and navigator... and Errol Flynn was an Aussie.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-8-2017 15:59:04  #17

Still waiting for the answers here.... 

10-8-2017 19:12:03  #18

Ha! I was waiting for more guesses!

10-8-2017 20:14:24  #19

Maybe this exchange will revive interest!

15-10-2017 18:57:46  #20

The poet Richard Wilbur died this past Saturday. Thi picture of him with his typewriter ran in tonight's NY Times

Board footera