You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-12-2013 19:17:53  #1

Alpina identification?

WHEEEEEEEEEEE!

Arrived home yesterday to find lovely grey and cream Alpina waiting for me, sent all the way from Germany.  Needs just a little TLC here and there, but basically sound.

Have always found it hard to identify model numbers and dates with this brand, so any help with reference sites etc. would be appreciated.
http://i.imgur.com/rIudcNp.jpg

This one has the remote tab setting and the nylon return lever.

Sincerely,
beak.

16-12-2013 13:09:29  #2

Re: Alpina identification?

Since it has a tabulator and the nylon line advance lever, it's definitely a 1960s model SK24. You would need to find its serial number if you want to narrow the year down, but even then the database listing for its numbers ends at 1962. I think the company went bust in the early '70s, so there's a number of missing years.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-12-2013 08:15:47  #3

Uwe wrote:

Since it has a tabulator and the nylon line advance lever, it's definitely a 1960s model SK24. You would need to find its serial number if you want to narrow the year down, but even then the database listing for its numbers ends at 1962. I think the company went bust in the early '70s, so there's a number of missing years.

Thanks - I could find no reference that seemed to work, since models seem to vary while keeping the same designation.  This must be one of the hardest machines to research!

Found the S/N - 293022, which research so far seems to indicate 1963; the year that production of all TWs ended.  However, it has the earlier margin release button (not key).  Alpinas are quite a mystery.

Update on TLC:  after much cleaning, the keys now snap back and forth like a dream.  If it weren't for the surprisingly primitive margin setting, I'd have no hesttaion in putting this machine at the top of any list immediately. 

When it is fully up to speed I'm going to atttempt a serious, competitive evaluation of the top three (in my book, concerning post-war portables), so far:

Olympia SM4
Hermes 3000
Alpina SK24

And a tough choice it's  going to be, I think.  I'd like to make it a four-way contest by adding a Smith-Corona of the era, but have only seen machines in good condition in America, and the postage is horrendous to Australia.  Shall keep looking though!

Sincerely,
beak.

17-12-2013 12:02:57  #4

My bet is on the SM4 to win. I don't own an Alpina - yet - but am very familiar with all of the others, so short of your SM4 having a mechanical issue, I can't see how the Olympia wouldn't come on top of that comparison. Looking forward to it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-12-2013 20:14:21  #5

Yes, I know what you mean - I've loved my SM4 from the start.

I guess any such comparison cannot but have its subjective elements, but if I can focus on features, and how well they work, and state personal preferences for what they are, it may have some value.

Another factor working against any comparison, of course, is that I only have one example of each, and a really good test would run three or more of each, to hide any individual quirks.   Going to be interesting, though.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera