You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-8-2017 15:05:18  #1

Olympia SM3

As I alluded to in a previous post, I picked up this 1954 Olympia SM3 a couple weeks ago. I finally got to sit down today and type a little with her. I have never used a manual typewriter before, but I found the experience rather intuitive--thanks perhaps to fine German engineering?

In short, I love it.

I've attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure. Feel free to comment on the typeface. If you have suggestions on how to clean it up, or suggestions for my technique, I'd love to hear them.   

12-8-2017 22:26:53  #2

Re: Olympia SM3

It's a great machine - certainly one of the best and most popular among writers.
I suggest you review the cleaning and lubrication routines; there are many posts and threads on that topic.
You could start this easily just by cleaning the type slugs (the metal letters on the ends of the arms which hit the paper).  You see from the 'e' that there is a build up of ink on the slug which is making the imprint blurry and messy.  This is common and no problem; find an old tooth brush and some meths (denatured alcohol in the US) and some paper towels, and give the slugs a firm scrub and use the towels to lift off the ink.  Could be worth getting a new ribbon too.
 A very nice start to typing!

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera