You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-8-2017 08:53:06  #11

Re: Fine yesterday. Now big problem. Mineral spirits. Typebars...

Should've added do you see it when you put spirits in, THEN do you see any darker liquid coming out.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

28-8-2017 09:25:00  #12

Haha I took your meaning
Well I've just been using a dirty towel over and over
Usually because I'm going through so much solution that it would be a hassle to switch out clean paper towels every 30 seconds or whatever.

Im seriously questioning whether it's dirt/grime inthe segment at all and not something else, but once I get more (yes I'm completely out!) I'll try it with some clean towels and see what comes out

31-8-2017 13:39:29  #13

Alright. So i went at it again this morning with the Kolibri and some 100% mineral spirits. I used clean paper towels underneath and everything coming through the segment was clear. No dirt or grime whatsoever.
BUT, even though no dirt/grime is showing, when I apply spirits to the segment slots, the typewriter mechanics seem to free up and it types well, as it should. But I know in a few days, when everything dries up, it'll be rough again, sticky.

I am really stumped...but I'll keep going and hope for some progress

31-8-2017 14:20:16  #14

....AND ONE ADDITIONAL NOTE to my previous post.

Most stubborn typebar is the N key. If I move it through the arc manually, with my hands, if moves fine, and reverts back its resting position normally, when I let it loose at the final position where it strikes the platen. But when I strike the key on the keyboard, then it gets stuck, again, on the return path downwards...

I wonder if one of the linkages is pulling on it at a weird angle or something...

31-8-2017 14:31:17  #15

There are a few possibilities:
1. Sometimes you can have sticky problematic keys that take numerous cleanings to resolve.
2. If I recall, you live in California. Many solvent formulations are banned in California. What you are using may be a completely different product, even if it is the same brand. You would have to look up the MSDS to verify. If you cannot get real (Stoddard solvent) mineral spirits in California, you may want to use denatured alcohol, lighter fluid, or a different cleaning agent; but again, those products may be different in California, as well.
3. There could be some other mechanical problem, but since you describe it as working fine before the solvent dries/evaporates, it makes me think you either have something stubborn that will take multiple cleanings, or your solvent is the problem.

31-8-2017 14:36:32  #16

schyllerwade wrote:

....AND ONE ADDITIONAL NOTE to my previous post.

Most stubborn typebar is the N key. If I move it through the arc manually, with my hands, if moves fine, and reverts back its resting position normally, when I let it loose at the final position where it strikes the platen. But when I strike the key on the keyboard, then it gets stuck, again, on the return path downwards...

I wonder if one of the linkages is pulling on it at a weird angle or something...

Is that the same key with the really bad alignment? If it is, I would really examine and compare that typebar with its neighbors.

31-8-2017 14:59:42  #17

No I apologize that was a typo, the "V" key is the stubborn one at the moment. Your memory is correct though, the "N" key was indeed the misaligned slug

Yes I too have considered that I may simply be using inferior solvents. Were you the one that mentioned the startex paint thinner 100% mineral spirits in another thread? I have been meaning to get some but as you mention, its not available for sale here in California.

I have had the best luck with Artists grade mineral spirits. It's 100%, but odorless...called Gamsol.

31-8-2017 15:08:28  #18

Comment from the peanut gallery -- are there burrs or some other roughness in the slot itself? I have to believe the crud has been well cleaned out by now.

31-8-2017 15:14:49  #19

No, no burrs or anything like that. I suspected as much myself but all I could see was that white buildup that I mentioned in another post. And again, with spirits application, most of the keys free up right away.

I just HAVE to get my hands on some real stoddard solution. My brother lives in AZ I wonder if he could send me a quart or 2 in the mail...hmmmm will look into this.

31-8-2017 15:48:50  #20

Even if it looks clean, you can have tiny amounts of stuff deep in the pivot that you can't see. I have had machines that some keys had to be revisited numerous times. It will be free while wet with solvent, and stick the next day. It takes reapplication and exercise. I use a blunt hobby syringe to target the problem keys right on the pivot.

As far as the white buildup, I think mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, and some other solvents can leave a whitish haze on the segments of some machines. It may be a reaction to certain metals--I am not sure. I have had it happen on some machines and not others. Some of my 30's Corona portables segments looked a little whitish after they were cleaned.

Board footera