You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-9-2017 19:15:38  #1

Sticky ribbon vibrator on Royal Quiet DeLuxe

The ribbon vibrator doesn't want to go back in place after being raised up when a key is pressed. Any idea what could be the cause? I just fixed a type bar that wouldn't sit back down due to a bent linkage. Not sure if this is related, but If I had to guess I'd say it isn't. Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks!

10-9-2017 20:32:13  #2

Re: Sticky ribbon vibrator on Royal Quiet DeLuxe

I've lost count of the number of cleanings I've performed on my QDL -- spritzing with lacquer thinner on sunny days in my yard -- but eventually I did remove decades of crud and it's working properly.
When dealing with gunk, persistence pays off. Eventually.
We've all grown up in an era when we're promised instant cures, instant answers, but sometimes you just have to doggedly attack a problem with the most likely solution. 

10-9-2017 20:40:49  #3

Re: Sticky ribbon vibrator on Royal Quiet DeLuxe

Thanks Gabby. I'll try cleaning. I have cleaned a lot of the typewriter, but I may need to take apart the vibrator and associated parts to clean it more thoroughly. That's the thing that's frustrating about these wonderful beasts....so hard to get to the little parts inside without creating a new problem in the process! Sigh. 

Board footera