You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-12-2013 19:37:55  #1

Question about Resurfacing Typewriter Platens

Hey folks. 

I'm trying to resurface the platen on my Underwood standard typewriter. But my efforts with rubber-sheeting have not been promising. 

I want your collective opinions on my backup-plan. 

Instead of using rubber, I was thinking of using thick layers of adhesive felt-sheeting. It would be matter of peeling off the backing-paper, rolling the felt around the platen, cutting it to the right size along the seam, and meeting it up. And repeating the process if necessary, to create the desired thickness. 

Would this be a practical alternative to trying to do the same thing with rubber sheeting/matting? Because I'm not having a great deal of luck with that. Also, because the felt matting is thinner, I can measure it more precisely and create tighter seams. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

21-12-2013 22:52:12  #2

Re: Question about Resurfacing Typewriter Platens

A platen resurfacing is something that I'd probably spend a little money on and have it professionally done. There are a number of countries internationally that perfor the work. I certainly wouldn't use something that came in a sheet because of the seam it would leave. Have you considered using heat shrink tubing? Or even this solution that uses a bicycle inner tube? It's a bit of a strange fix, but at least it doesn't leave a seam.

This thread on TT might be of some help too.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-12-2013 23:03:33  #3

I don't have heatshrink tubing that's large enough. I have tried bicycle-tubing, but it doesn't work as well as I'd like. I'm well aware of the issues regarding seams. But the thing is, I live in Australia. To send the platen off to be resurfaced would be ruinously expensive. For the money spent on that, I could buy a whole new typewriter...or two. I'd rather do it at home. If there was someone in Australia that could do it, I might be induced to spend the money. But I don't think there is. 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

21-12-2013 23:33:09  #4

Shangas wrote:

I don't have heatshrink tubing that's large enough.

You can order it online - even in Australia - and its far cheaper alternative compared to getting a platen professionally restored. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-12-2013 00:34:53  #5

Any idea where I can get it from? I used small HST to resurface the rollers, with what I think to be a reasonable level of success. But I can't buy large-sized HST for the platen anywhere locally. 

PROGRESS REPORT: 

I've used the felt. Two layers. It's worked much better than I had anticipated. Now I have to reassemble the detent mechanism. This is proving a HUGE pain in the ass. I know how it's done, but it's proving extremely, extremely, extremely fiddly and frustrating!! GURGH!! 

If and when I get this done, I shall post more. 

Last edited by Shangas (23-12-2013 00:59:17)

Board footera