You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-1-2014 16:24:51  #11

Re: Smith Corona Classic 12

That's almost exactly what my typewriter looks like from the bottom view.

05-1-2014 17:41:25  #12

Okay, that's a start.

Gently flip your machine onto its back so you can see its underside. Then slowly press on one of the keys - you're not trying to get it to hit the platen, you just want to move it through its entire stroke slowly. As you're doing this, observe what's going on underneath the machine. The following should be happening:
1. This linkage should move upward.
2. The shaft should then twist with the U-shaped portion moving toward you.
3. The top of this silver assembly should pivot toward you.
4. The escapement wheel should turn clockwise.

Let me know which, if any, of these steps is not happening. Oh, and if you post photos it would help a lot as we might be able to spot something obvious just from looking at your machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-1-2014 20:51:20  #13

Hello, here goes:
1.  The linkage does not move upward, but pivots toward the front of the typewriter.
2.  The shaft does twist and the U-Shape does move toward me.
3.  The top of the silver assembly does not pivot toward me.
4.  The escapement wheel does not turn clockwise.

I got the hyperlink RE: sending photos and I'll send those next.

Thanks.

Brian

05-1-2014 21:37:06  #14

Well, that narrows it down quite a bit. Regarding #1, I meant upward relative to the photo (I didn't want to confuse things); regardless, it's moving in the right direction. 

We now know the problem is in the area of the escapement. I'll have to take more photos (I'll try to get to it tomorrow) to troubleshoot the problem even further. On the other hand, now that you know which part is supposed to move, and how it's supposed to move, you could take a very close look in that area and try and find the problem. There's a small arm that pushes down on the piece of metal that is running parallel to the arrow for #3. If that isn't moving down (relative to the photo) then the problem is in the linkage between it and #2.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-1-2014 11:28:01  #15

Brian, I got your photo, but it's way too small and not close enought to be of any help. Did you try any of the suggestions I made in my previous post?

06-6-2015 11:51:44  #16

I have a very similar problem with an older model (from the 1940's, I think).  All of the keys work, but the carriage does not advance unless I apply very slight pressure to the carriage at the same time I strike the key.  Any advice how to fix that would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

06-6-2015 12:11:53  #17

Hi Aralen, and welcome to TT.

The Classic 12 was not manufactured prior to the '60s, so if you have a Smith-Corona portable from the '40s then it's either a 4- or 5-series machine. Based on what you've described it could be a number of things. The carriage rails and ball retainers might need a good cleaning, the drawband tension might be too low, or there could be something mechanically wrong. I would start by cleaning the carriage rails thoroughly, and in the meantime it would be good to positively ID your model to make sure we're on the same page.

Oh, and since yours is a different machine from the one that is the subject of this thread, you should probably start a new thread (topic) for your typewriter.

Board footera