You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-10-2017 17:51:11  #11

Re: Which new Smith-Corona in 1959 for a college-bound 18 year old?

DanS wrote:

I'm just trying to get an idea as to which model it might be.

​Based on the year, it's a manual, and the assumption that it's a portable, it could be one of at least five models (many more than five if you include all the store-specific models that existed). As crazy as it sounds, Smith-Corona even marketed the Skyriter as a university-appropriate model.

​I wouldn't worry about it being a Clipper; all of the other Smith-Corona portables posses equal performance characteristics and design, they only differ in their feature sets. Why Hanks would have singled out the Clipper instead of just any of the other models might be down to a preference for the graphic (if it was the 4-series model he was referring to). 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-10-2017 08:07:17  #12

Ha ha Dan, I'm up to 5 and counting within the past few weeks.

27-10-2017 08:10:20  #13

Im really need to get a SC. My grandpa worked and retired from the company. He might be rolling his eyes that I have Olivettis and an Olympia, but no Smith Corona. 

01-12-2017 11:17:34  #14

I'm scheduled to pick up my SC in a mystery model on Tuesday 12-5-2017 around 9:00am.  I'll have to post a picture when I get it.  I have no idea of the model nor the condition so this might be a real disappointment or a great surprise.

gnuyork, Good deal!  I think you're going to be way ahead of me on the number in your herd (?) or flock (?) or whatever.

01-12-2017 13:12:47  #15

To respond to Uwe's question in #11 about why Hanks singled out the Clipper, I think it was because there was one sitting on the shelf for sale.

Looking forward to the "reveal," Dan!

06-12-2017 10:15:15  #16

I posted some pictures in the New Acquisitions thread.

Serial number is 6T2V - 280340.

Typewriter Database just give me a range of years between 1966 and 1972.  Can anyone narrow that down for me please?

It also has a broken plastic part that I want to replace.

The typewriter is a little crusty but should clean up pretty nicely.  Seems to function well.  Needs a new ribbon of course.

How did I do for $10?

06-12-2017 10:18:06  #17

Correction: Recent Acquisitions Thread.

What will remove Wite-Out from the little plastic windows and rubber rollers without damaging them?

06-12-2017 12:13:53  #18

Try Goof-Off (in small quantities; it may dissolve the plastic if you overdo it).

So this is the machine he went off to college with in 1959? While the Smith-Corona serial number information can be sparse, I definitely agree with TWDB that this machine is no earlier than mid-60s vintage. Maybe he doesn't remember just when he did get it.

Saw the picture with the broken carriage release lever -- can't help you, but there are a lot of potential donor machines out there. (Anyway, you can still use the one on the right side.)

06-12-2017 13:03:04  #19

1959 was my guess since he would have turned 17 or 18 that year.  I asked him about it yesterday when I got it and he said he used his dad's typewriter and lived at home the first few years of college.  Later he bought this typewriter and moved away to finish at another school.  He thinks he bought it somewhere between 1966 and 1968.  Still, 1966 or later seems like quite a while but I didn't press him for an explanation or more details.  His recollection goes along with TWDB/serial number.

The typewriter is cleaning up nicer than I thought it would.  I took the tray off the bottom to vacuum it from that side.  (It reminded me that I should check the crumb tray on my toaster.)

Other than the carriage release lever I haven't found any problems.  I have yet to type on a piece of paper with it but the keys seem to all move well and not to stick at all.  Seems to have some scuffs, scratches, and honest wear and tear.  I like it.

06-12-2017 15:13:17  #20

Frankly, I think you'll want to find excuses to use the Power Space!

Board footera