You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-10-2017 09:44:55  #1

Friendly letter format?

Is there such a thing as a standard friendly letter format?

I'm sure that when it comes to a friendly letter that almost anything goes depending upon the acquaintance/friend relationship but still I would think there should be a place for the date, a place for the address of the writer, margin sizes, salutation location, etc.

I certainly don't remember a friendly letter format from my high school typing class.

Thanks.

29-10-2017 10:23:59  #2

Re: Friendly letter format?

Before anyone tells me to fire up the interscreen and do a giggle search I should mention that I already have.  The 'standard' (?) formats differ quite a bit from website to website and some websites have had 7 formats and some have had 10 formats.  So, I suppose I could assume there is no one standard format and that I could just pick one.  And that will work but I thought I'd ask here first.

29-10-2017 11:02:22  #3

It's an interesting question.  I type personal letters to friends abroad often.

'Friendly' should include, IMO, generous spacing and clarity, and a tidy but informal approach.  I think the appearance of the whole thing is improved by 'topping & tailing': writing the salutation and the closing by hand with a pen.  Ditto any post script.  Personal letters may be kept for many years, so I am careful about noting the date and the place from which the letter is sent.  Apart from these things, maintaining the same paragraph indent throughout and making sure that the space between paragraphs is consistent at twice the line spacing, I think that's it.

More generally, I think it is never good merely to ramble.  Try to imagine some over-arching form to the letter.  If it is possible to form some sequential narrative which moves towards a resolution towards the end of the letter, so much the better.

Formality or 'standard forms' should not prevent you from speaking your mind - that is why you are writing, after all, and not merely to fulfil an obligation or use up paper - friendliness requires some openness.

No real idea if this is what you were looking for, but IME there is no 'form', layout or practice which is recognized as 'friendly'.  Others here may have different answers, of course.

Sincerely,
beak.

29-10-2017 11:07:29  #4

Oh -
Using an off-white or even mildly coloured paper may carry the impression of informality too.  I have some light fawn paper which I often use for this kind of letter.

Sincerely,
beak.

31-10-2017 22:56:30  #5

Hi Dan

​As Beak says, there is no real set format for an informal letter. That being said though, we were taught in junior school (1968 - 1972) the difference between an informal handwritten letter an a formal handwritten letter. Being a creature of habit, I've carried this teaching over to my typing as follows;

​Informal letter settings. Left margin = 1", right margin = ¾" (as you usually return just after the bell and almost never hit the right margin). Header = 1¼", footer 1". Set a tab 20 spaces from the right margin for your (return) address and start the top line of your address at the tab. Start second line at tab + 1 character space, 3rd line at tab + 2 and so on. The date goes under the return address starting at tab, a line space between address and date is optional. 

​Space 2 lines between date and salutation, salutation starts at left margin. Space 2 lines under salutation to start first paragraph and indent first line of every paragraph 5 character spaces. Sign off (yours sincerely) is also indented 5 spaces with a comma after. If you desire, you can also type your name about 6 line spaces below the sign off and indented the same so there is adequate room to sign the letter. My hand writing is not pretty, so I type my name as well as signing. Hope this gives you something to work with,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

02-11-2017 10:02:56  #6

Sounds like the main difference between an informal and a formal letter is that with an informal letter, the addressee's address does not appear. I'm scratching my head about the return address, specifically why the second line is + 1 space and the third is + two spaces. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

But then, I never took typing in school, so I never was taught any of the standard rules for letters.

02-11-2017 11:24:33  #7

I don't do the return address on informal letters to people I know, as it is already on the envelope, takes up space, and I consider it unnecessary. I will put the city and state above the date if I am writing from somewhere other than my home. If you are writing from your home, to someone you know, the date is all that is needed. It is implied that you are writing from home unless another location is given. I justify the date to the right margin, just because I like the way it looks and serves as a good visual guide to where the margin ends. I do this by going to the end, and then reciting the characters as I backspace.

How I space the lines varies depending on the amount of text. Ideally, I would do about an inch from the top on the date, triple space to the salutation, double space to the body, double between paragraphs, and triple to the closing (sign off), and use a hand signature. I put my closing slightly to the right of center. If I want to squeeze more onto one page, I will sometimes cut out some of the spacing, first after the date, and if I need more, I will just single space between paragraphs. I indent either way. I always use one inch margins.

The recommended styles and formatting of both formal and informal letters vary between texts and evolved over time. Old typing and etiquette books can give you good examples of the rules and recommendations; as can looking at real examples of vintage letters. From there you can tailor your own style within the generally accepted parameters.

02-11-2017 11:39:21  #8

Hi Fleetwing

​This is probably because I went to school in England. Here's a simple exampleof the layout to which I refer. We were taught that in a formalletter, there is no indentation for each consecutive line of the return address, and the recipient's address is set against the left margin with the date below it (hope these links work).

My wife who has been an administrative assistant all her working life tells me I'm living in the past when it comes to letter writing, but then again, manual typewriters are considered a thing of the past, so I guess the two just go hand in hand. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

02-11-2017 12:31:48  #9

Thanks for those links. I've never seen the informal format like that before. (One could say that having a "formal" format for an "informal" letter is a contradiction in terms!)

I am sure your wife has some interesting observations from a career's worth of preparing correspondence.

02-11-2017 13:53:58  #10

Wow!  Excellent information.  Thanks everyone.

Board footera