You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-1-2014 02:40:56  #1

Flipping Typewriters (Part Two)

There was a nice little Singer T.4 for sale recently on eBay and thought it would be nice to add it to the collection, but when the bidding passed my maximum of $35 (that's all it's worth, especially when you factor in the shipping charges), I dropped out. The typer ended up selling for $41. Oh well, hopefully another collector is enjoying it, right?

Wrong. I was surprised when the very same machine turned up again a week later in a local ad - albeit this time with a crazy mark-up. I don't know who in their right mind would spend $125 for this machine, but I feel really sorry for the person who does. More disturbing is that collectors have to bid against these guys who are just flipping these machines and essentially driving up asking prices.

Rant over.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-1-2014 05:44:41  #2

Re: Flipping Typewriters (Part Two)

I also feel bad for the sucker who paid $125 when he/she could have got it for $6 with a little patience and Goodwill hunting.

07-1-2014 13:29:47  #3

How were you able to tell it's the exact same machine? There are a lot of those Singers out there. 

07-1-2014 15:12:38  #4

JanetLand wrote:

How were you able to tell it's the exact same machine? There are a lot of those Singers out there. 

Good question. I see this happening a lot in my area, so I keep an eye open for it. Typewriters that are sold on eBay by Canadian sellers often end up being flipped locally in Toronto. Aside from several similarities such as the description of the machine, here's the definitive one:

The top photo is from the eBay auction created by a seller in Montreal. The bottom photo is from the ad by a seller in Toronto, which coincidentally turned up one week after the eBay auction ended.

1. Stained 'G' key on both machines
2. Same paint chip on the ribbon cover
3. Same paint chip above the keyboard
4. Same mark on the left shift key (and both are skewed slightly the same way)
5. Same marks down the left hand side of the chassis (left of keyboard) 
6. Both machines have the same blemishes around the ribbon cover (no arrows pointing to these)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-1-2014 04:36:09  #5

I would buy it for $15 just so that it could go with my two vintage Singer sewing machines...

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

08-1-2014 09:23:30  #6

Good eye, Uwe! 

I like those little Singers/Royalites and would like to get another one (I gave my first one away to a typewriterless person), but I sure as heck wouldn't support that kind of price gouging. 

08-1-2014 12:20:10  #7

Shangas wrote:

I would buy it for $15 just so that it could go with my two vintage Singer sewing machines...

Singer typewriters were sold through Singer Sewing Machine stores, so one of their private label typewriters would be a nice accessory to your sewing machines.

JanetLand wrote:

I like those little Singers/Royalites and would like to get another one (I gave my first one away to a typewriterless person), but I sure as heck wouldn't support that kind of price gouging.

I would never begrudge someone who is trying to make a living out of buying and selling products, but people like this do irk me as they don't add any value whatsoever to the process and the only result of their actions is to drive up prices across the entire used typewriter market.

What I can appreciate is someone who buys an inexpensive typer and puts many hours of labour into restoring and improving the machine before selling it at a much higher price to be compensated for his efforts. However, all this seller is doing is taking a fairly priced machine that someone new to typewriters might have wanted to purchase, and tripling its cost. The fallout is that other sellers see this and consider his infated and ridiculous price to be normal, and price their machine accordingly.

The other day I bought a Remington Super-Riter from a woman who had advertised the machine for $30. We agreed on a time for me to pick-up the machine from her house. However, when I reached her house after a 45 minute drive she said there was a "dilemma"; she said the machine was worth a lot more and that she wasn't going to sell it for the price we had agreed to. Naturally, I became a little irate. I asked her why she thought it was worth more (it wasn't, the machine is filthy and well-beaten) and she lead me to her computer and pointed to an eBay auction with the same machine. The seller was demanding a $200 Buy It Now. I laughed and explained at length why her machine had been fairly priced - and why those crazy appraisels you see online are whimsical and hopefull attempts to make money from what the seller erroneously assumed was a precious antique.  

As I mentioned previously, there are a number of people in Toronto who are doing this now, and I know who a few of them are. One recently bought a machine from a friend and gave him a song and dance about wanting to buy the typer as a gift for a friend, but he recognised the buyer and knew that the truth was he was buying the modestly priced typewriter for the sole purpose of selling it as quickly as possible.

08-1-2014 14:25:15  #8

*sigh* If people are going to use eBay as their guide to what things are "worth," I wish they search for items that have sold, to see what people are actually paying for things. 

08-1-2014 15:50:03  #9

Very, very true. Even then, those numbers will be skewed. I'm amazed what some people will pay for a typewriter, typically one time/first time buyers who haven't done their homework. I see the occassional ad that will say something like "paid $175, but will let it go for $100" to describe a $25 Smith-Corona Clipper from the '50s.

08-1-2014 21:36:51  #10

I'm in two minds about all of this, because it is the natural way of things to buy low and sell high wherever you can.  Why should anyone who sees an underpriced object not buy it and try to sell it on later at a better price? And the buyer is the judge of whether the thing is underpriced or not, compared to what they think they may get for it later.

Who here, seeing a rare machine in excellent condition for $10, would not buy it?  And would they then feel it imoral to sell it later for a more normal market price?

The current market and the buyers interested at the time set the price, not the seller! - you cannot drive up prices simply by asking an inflated price.  All that happens in that case is that the item almost never sells (how many of those have we all seen on EBay), and if the thing does sell, then the seller judged correctly - it was worth the price to someone!

Sure, 'fishing' (listing something for an inflated price in the hope of catching someone not aware of its generally accepted value) is irritating.  But it cannot be other than the seller's right to do what they please with their own stuff.

Last edited by beak (08-1-2014 21:38:29)

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera